cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeyres
Level 7

iDevice support for wpad.dat file

Was watching the Deep Dive: Web Protection Deployment Options and Considerations video from FOCUS2014 and noticed one of the presenters mention using wpad files with iDevices.

This is quite desirable for my own environment so I setup my own test lab using a DNS record pointing to a wpad file hosted on our Web Gateway (). Unfortunately I have only been able to get my Windows 7 test laptop to connect and not the test iDevice, in this case an iPod touch.

Anyone has had any success with using wpad.dat files on iDevices (iPod/Phone)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: iDevice support for wpad.dat file

Do you have DHCP serving the proper DNS search suffix?

Option 015: DNS Domain Name

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have the DHCP option 252 setup to point  to the URI of the PAC file explicitly.

I can't attest to how an iPod will behave, but my iPad with the latest iOS does honor the DNS and the DHCP options.

0 Kudos
jeyres
Level 7

The production environment is hetrogenerous, so I wasn't pursuing DHCP option 252 due to this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=991781

I'll have a fiddle with option 015, thanks for the lead

Do you mind if I ask what A and CNAME records do you have in DNS?

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

I have multiple A records for wpad.domain.local pointing to multiple proxies to do a simple round robin amongst them.

That forum thread you pointed out was true many years ago, but has long since been fixed on current OSX and iOS.

I tested this in depth about a year ago to validate that DNS and DHCP both worked at the time.

0 Kudos