cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fwmonitor
Level 7

how to increase load average limit to avoid "5 Minute load average exceeds selected limit"

Jump to solution

Hello,

the value for load average seems to be set to 3 disregarding the cpu count. Is it possible to increase this value to say 12?

additionally I'm looking for way to send "CPU Overload" Email only if the CPU load lasts more then 5 minutes.

best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to increase load average limit to avoid "5 Minute load average exceeds selected limit"

Jump to solution

Hi,

you can change the default value for load average threshold in mwg-monitor configuration file.

Create the file /etc/mwg-config/mwg-monitor.conf and add a line "THRESH_LOAD=12.0".

# mkdir -p /etc/mwg-config

# echo "THRESH_LOAD=12.0" >> /etc/mwg-config/mwg-monitor.conf

Restart mwg-monitor:

# service mwg-monitor restart

Cya, Ed

3 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: how to increase load average limit to avoid "5 Minute load average exceeds selected limit"

Jump to solution

Hi fwmon,

You cant increase the 5 minute load average incident you get in the dashboard I believe..

As far as the email load notification, that is easy enough, here you go ;-)

1_check.png 2_actions.png

The attached ruleset will increment a counter every minute where the CPU is high. If it is not high anymore it will reset the counter. For this example, after 10 increments (10 minutes) you can configure it to send a notification.

Best,

jon

Jump to solution

Hi,

you can change the default value for load average threshold in mwg-monitor configuration file.

Create the file /etc/mwg-config/mwg-monitor.conf and add a line "THRESH_LOAD=12.0".

# mkdir -p /etc/mwg-config

# echo "THRESH_LOAD=12.0" >> /etc/mwg-config/mwg-monitor.conf

Restart mwg-monitor:

# service mwg-monitor restart

Cya, Ed

fwmonitor
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Ed,

thank you for this information, I've followed these steps and I'll check tomorrow if it helps.

BTW I see the number of cpu cores (ncpu) has been already used to calculate load_5m value, so I was wrong saying "... disregarding the cpu count".

I see these messages only on virtual appliances with two cpu cores, so may be I need to add some CPUs.

Thx!

0 Kudos