cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smalldog
Level 12

error web reporter

Jump to solution

Hi All, my web reporter can not receive logs that pushed from web gateway. I check status and see waiting status (see attach) . So i can not create reports because can not receive logs. Could you help me? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asabban
Level 17

Re: error web reporter

Jump to solution

Hello,

The log file is 600 KB for only two seconds. It has 2600 lines and 1950 match the following URL:

POST http://update.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

It seems that you are running Open Office on several Clients, and they are attempting to update again and again and again. The Response code is 403, so MWG does not allow them to upgrade, but it seems that this does not prevent them from asking for updates.

I see a couple of options here:

- Browse to the URL mentioned above, you should see an MWG error page. Remove blocking the URL and allow the Clients to update. This may prevent them from asking again all the time

- Turn off automatic updates in Open Office for all installations

- Add a criteria to the log handler which causes the Access log to be only written if the URL does not match "*update.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService*"

The easiest way is to prevent the Log Handler from writing the lines to the log. The bad thing is that the requests will still be there, but simply "hidden".  I would personally try to find out why Open Office is flooding MWG with requests and try to turn it off, either by option 1 or 2.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
13 Replies
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

I found two job running so another jobs must waiting. My customer have 100MB log every 5 minutes (over 1000 users). So web gateway must push logs to web reporter every 5 minutes. To import success for 100MB logs into web reporter need 15 days . So can not create reporters...  Anyone here can advise me how to make this run smooth? Thanks!

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi smalldog,

I think something else must be going on... my general rule of thumb is 10,000 users should produce about 1GB of log data a day.

1000 users should not produce 100MB every 5 minutes...

I would advise opening an SR to investigate further to see if there is a log pushing problem. Include a feedback and a Web Reporter server.log file when you open the SR.

What versions are you running for (Web Reporter and Web Gateway)?

~Jon

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

I'm using web gateway 7.1 and reporter 5.2. Have you got guide to config reporter? I don't know why my custom have 100Mb every 5 minutes (see attach). Thanks!

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi Jon, Assume 100Mb/day so to import 100Mb into reporter need 17days (see image above). So it too long time to create reports when we need... . Thanks for advance!

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

Can you attach a server.log and a screenshot of  Administration -> Options -> Performance -> Database Statistics

Warning: there might be sensitive data in the server.log.  If you can use grep, I'm interested in seeing the lines that contain these classes.

DetailRecordPersister

AggregateCache

SummaryHourPrefetcher

One more useful thing, each physical appliance needs to be using a different log source. On the log sources, do you know which options are enabled for the processing tab?

Message was edited by: sroering on 8/2/11 7:55:26 AM CDT

Message was edited by: sroering on 8/2/11 7:56:17 AM CDT
0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

i just make default settings. Now i reinstall and web reporter process 100Mb file on 2 minutes. Don't why before it process files with long time. Thanks!

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

And last question: my customers still have 100MB logs every 5 minutes on web gateway. I think logs include just text (100Mb text is too large). So could you show me how to configurate on web gateway that can reduce size logs smaller? Thanks!

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hello,

can you state which log files are growing so much on your Web Gateway? Is it the access.log?

It would be interesting to understand what data you are logging for each request, maybe you are logging too much information. Can you let us know in detail what logs seem to be too large?

Can you provide us with a line of this log, so that we can see what data you are writing?

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Jump to solution

Yes, it access.log. I attached file with some lines from logs.  Thanks for helping me!

0 Kudos