cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eelsasser
Level 15

YouTube Application Control customer feedback request

Now that we've introduced the YouTube Application Control rule set that allows you to view specific videos by video category, uploader name, keywords in titles & descriptions, I want to know something. I'd like to understand how everyone is implementing this.

Would you please take a couple of minutes to respond to the list or Private Message me and tell me:

What are the use cases?

Why do you use the feature?

What kind of organization are you?

Have you noticed a distinguishable difference in the reduction of bandwidth after it was implemented?

Any general comments.

Having the  web gateway make calls into the YouTube API to gather metadata about the video and take action on it is and interesting corner case that I don't see a lot of competitors doing effectively (if at all). Although it may seem like an esoteric capability,  I want to know how useful it is for real customers.

There are a lot of cool things that web gateway can do if the right rules rules are applied. This is just one of them.

Many of the ideas come from you. Things like Site Review forms, Remove Facebook Chat pagelet, and others in the Online Rule Library are from use-cases we hear about.

Any other ideas you may have?

Please let me know.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
jejjowens
Level 7

Re: YouTube Application Control customer feedback request

I tried using the ruleset from the content security site for blocking youtube by only allowing certain uploaders and am not able to get it working correctly.  In our application, we would like to block all of Youtube and only allow videos by a single user, which is our company's user name/id.  What is giving me problems is when I also enable the streaming media category.  Once I have the streaming media category as a block, I get weird playback issues where I can get to my company's page, but the video won't play back.  If I turn off the category blocking, I am then able to play videos by our company user name/id and block random user uploaded videos, but am unable to block channels or playlists from large companies like Home Depot.  I know these videos can come from various sources, so that definitely doesn't help matters.

0 Kudos
jspanitz
Level 7

Is there a step by step guide on how to set this up?

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

There are a set of rule in the online library, or i can send you a e² customized set of them that you can import.

0 Kudos
jejjowens
Level 7

If you are able to send a set of rules, that would be awesome.

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Here.  You'll have to create your own block page, but these are the ones i use.

0 Kudos
satbir
Level 7

Hi Andre,

Your YouTube Ruleset solves few other problems that i was facing like allowing a particlur video on youtube and not all the videos of a uploader. Thanks alot for sharing it on community.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
jejjowens
Level 7

eelsasser,

Thank you for the rule set you provided.  It definitely got me closer, but there are still a couple of weird issues that I'm running in to.  I got the Gateway to where videos from my company (with them as the Uploader) would play and other videos with their name in the title or comments wouldn't play, but when I do a search on HomeDepot, some of their videos play.  For example, http://www.youtube.com/user/homedepot?feature=results_main  I have your ruleset imported with only the main Application: YouTube and YouTube: Block By Uploader sections enabled.  I have our company as the only one in the YouTube: Allowed Uploaders list.  Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

James

0 Kudos
jejjowens
Level 7

It seems to be channels from companies (Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.).  I turned on the category block and put it after the Uploader block, but the Home Depot and Wal-Mart channel was still allowed.

0 Kudos
jejjowens
Level 7

I stand corrected and apologize for the multiple posts.  The more troubleshooting I did, the more it seems that it is just the initial video on the channel that plays.  When you actually dig deeper or click on the videos within the channel, they do get blocked.  I did use another ruleset from the one eelsasser uploaded, but it is essentially the same.  eelsasser's was just more detailed and had more options than the one I used (https://contentsecurity.mcafee.com/ruleset_library/dl?type=package&rule_id=50024 Youtube Restrict Access By Uploader) I found on the Content and Cloud Security Portal).  Some of the commercials that appear at the top when you go to YouTube.com did play, but I'm sure can easily stop that with a couple of category blocks.

0 Kudos