Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Whitelisting question

We are having some issues with Skype for Business where people can't authenticate or are continuously getting prompts to authenticate.  I've already whitelisted everything required by Microsoft (You can see them at Office 365 URLs and IP address ranges - Office 365 )

My question is, we typically whitelist by either * or *  We have found in our environment that the MWGs react differently based on where you put the *, and having * does not whitelist something like, it only whitelists anything that has as the ending without anything in front of it.  For example, * does not whitelist, it only whitelists anything like 

This makes me wonder if * includes everything in front or do I need to put *.* if necessary?  For example, I've whitelisted * but in cases where an address is something like, do I need to use *.* as a whitelist entry?  Hopefully I made this question understandable but please let me know if you need clarification.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
McAfee Employee

Re: Whitelisting question

Hi Tribunal,

I wrote this best practice to help understand how to whitelist URLs:

Short answer though, it depends on the property. If using URL.Host, * WOULD whitelist any subdomains ( AND any domains matching the wild card entry ( There are other properties like URL.Host.BelongsToDomain and URL.SmartMatch which simplify the whitelisting process.

Best Regards,