cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbajaj
Level 9

What are the bugs, known issues, limitations of McAfee version 7.2 on VMware or ESXi?

We are planning to deploy McAfee version 7.2 on Hypervisor. So curious to know what are the limitations, known issues, bugs etc. on deploying this on VMware?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Re: What are the bugs, known issues, limitations of McAfee version 7.2 on VMware or ESXi?

Hello,

from what I know all proxy modes have been successfully tested on ESX(i) for 7.2. According to other discussions I have been following you may want to *not* use the Web Cache, since disk IO is the bottleneck on a VM in most of the cases, and Web Cache creates a lot of disk IO. If cache is a desired feature, this should be discussed in more detail.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
Troja
Level 14

Re: What are the bugs, known issues, limitations of McAfee version 7.2 on VMware or ESXi?

Hi Heena,

wie already installed different MWG Systems in ESX environments at different customers. Depending on the req/sec. we also activated "Web-Cache" at one customer. But as Andre said, the bottleneck is the disk IO on the filer system. Just try it, but you should advise your customer to disable webcache. :-)

We installed the following szenarios with the virtual version of MWG 7.2

- a mix of virtual appliances and MWG5500 where one virtual mwg is used as central management "master" and other ones are securing internal HTTP traffic between different networks. (7 appliances)

- virtual mwg 7.2 HA Cluster as a forwarding proxy (2 appliances)

- virtual mwg 7.2 HA Reverse Proxy  (2 appliances)

- virtual mwg 7.2 appliances used as ICAP server for Bluecoat Proxies

Today all installations are working fine. There is no different regarding the functionality when using a mwg appliance or a virtual appliance.

Cheers,

Thorsten

0 Kudos
hbajaj
Level 9

Thanks for the information :-)

0 Kudos
pedro.tavares
Level 10

Hi,

Does it also applies if using RAW disk instead VMDK?

Regards,

Pedro

0 Kudos