cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cryptochrome
Level 7

What Reporting product is recommended?

Hi,

there seem to be two different reporting products from McAfee that are suitable for Web Gateway. There is "McAfee Web Reporter" and "McAfee Content Security Reporter". Sales told us to use McAfee Web Reporter without even mentioning the other product. Pricing for Web Reporter is rediculous. What about the "Content Security Reporter"? What are the differences? Why two different products? What is the recommendation from the tech community?

Thanks

0 Kudos
18 Replies
sroering
Level 13

Re: What Reporting product is recommended?

Web Reporter Basic should be free if you own Web Gateway.  With your Web Gateway license you will see Web Reporter as a download option from our website and there is no license for basic reporting. It only costs money for premium reporting.  You will get 90 days premium free as an eval.

You should demo both MWR and CSR and see which better suits your needs.

If you could give a list of your requirements, I could suggest which may be better.

0 Kudos
prajoshgeorge
Level 10

Hi soering,

Iif I have Web Gateway, what does premium reporting provide additionally?

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

0 Kudos
cryptochrome
Level 7

Ok, if I understand both product briefs correctly, then Web Reporter is the more general reporting tool, while Content Security Reporter is more tailored towards security (e.g. found malware) and works together with ePO and across all McAfee security products. Is that right?

By the way: Yes, there is a free version for Web Reporter, but it is feature crippeled at exactly the right spots, so for serious use you will have to buy the premium edition. The free version is more like a trial/demo. The pricing for the premium edition is rediculously high. Seriously.

0 Kudos
petersimmons
Level 12

As an employee and someone who uses ePO quite a lot, CSR is an amazing product. If you have access to it, I'd use it. You can stand up a VM just for CSR and then connect it to ePO. Should you decide you don't like it, you can disconnect it. As for the "why" question, we created CSR because it is MUCH easier to integrate with ePO (a primary goal for everything we do).

0 Kudos
cryptochrome
Level 7

Ok, but what if we are not using ePO? And what if I am more interested in reports about who surfed to where (and everything related) than security incidents?

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

CSR is going to get you the same report data as Web Reporter regarding Web Gateway traffic, albiet in slightly different ways.   I would strongly encourage you try both on a trial before you make a decision.  It would be hard to explain the differences if you haven't tried either.  Perhaps one would seem more natural to you.

0 Kudos
cryptochrome
Level 7

But do I need ePO for CSR? And how is pricing compared to Web Reporter? I don't need numbers, just let me know whether it's about the same level or less (or maybe even more ).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Yes, you need ePO for CSR.  ePO is essentially the common management framework for a lot of McAfee products.  The goal is to give a centralized point for deploying and configuring all McAfee products.  ePO and CSR can be installed on the same server if you are not using ePO for anything else.

Regarding cost, you should speak with your sales rep.  I don't have any information regarding pricing.

0 Kudos