cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattand666
Level 7

Website blocked, but not if accessed via google search

A brief seach in these forums didn't show anything obvious on this topic (perhaps I lack the vocabulary), so here goes:

We block dropbox.com by policy, and if you type that URL in your browser, you are blocked. But if you search for dropbox on google and click on the hit for dropbox's login page, it comes right up.

Clearly we'd like that method of access blocked as well. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any pointers appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Re: Website blocked, but not if accessed via google search

Hi Matt,

are you able to share some more information?

- Which version of MWG are you using?

- How exactly do you block? By Category? By URL?

Maybe you can add a screenshot. That helps more than 1000 words sometimes :-)

best,

Andre

0 Kudos
mattand666
Level 7

We block the Personal Web Storage category, (with a few exceptions based on AD user group). I personally am not allowed to that site - I get our block page when I try to access....but if I google "dropbox", and click the hit for "Login" (http://www.dropbox.com/home) I get the login page. But if I type the same login URL in my browser, I am blocked.

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

I have just given this a try, but I cannot replicate the issue on a default Web Gateway installation.

- Please let us know which version of Web Gateway you are running

- Please double check if there is any Whitelist entry matching which probably prevents the request from being blocked

Is there anything useful in the access.logs when accessing directly/via Google?

What happens if you try to hit the "login" button. Are you blocked if you do so?

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
ittech
Level 13

If you block it specifically by URL

*.dropbox.com*

that should take care of it.

The only other thing I notice is that the login link on google is a HTTPS site. We've had trouble allowing HTTPS site because the initially come through as IPs instead of URLs.

If you have the Web Reporter I would definitely check that first as it's easier to narrow down client IPs, usernames, URLs, etc. with the Custom Reports.

0 Kudos
mattand666
Level 7

Yeah, you nailed it - found that myself (really!).

Thanks for the feedback though. I did learn to look at things a little closer....

0 Kudos