cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Reporter slow over WAN but fast over LAN

Access from the server itself or from any other system on the local DC LAN is fine but not from WAN. This application is hosted in a remote data center which is accessed by clients over WAN only.

I should also say that there are a couple of McAfee Web Gateways in the same LAN whose web interfaces are accessible just fine over WAN. But not this Web Reporter application.

I believe both MWG and the Web Reporter have their web interfaces written in Java. So, there has to be some kind of process in the Web Reporter which responds slow over WAN ? Please suggest.

Regards,
Shridhar

0 Kudos
4 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Web Reporter slow over WAN but fast over LAN

Hi Shridhar,

With Web Reporter, there is a lot more data being exchanged when you click between pages (less reliance on the applet).

With Web Gateway, there is a lot less GUI rendering as the GUI is mostly handled by the applet (more reliance on the applet).

So if you have a slower connection to Web Reporter, the GUI will act accordingly.

Best Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos

Jon,

By saying - With Web Reporter, there is a lot more data being exchanged when you click between pages (less reliance on the applet) , do you mean data exchange between the connecting client and the server ? Is there any way to compress the data on the server before the exchange ?

Regards,

Shridhar

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Shridhar,

That's correct, I would guess it's already compressed on the way back to the client, but I havent had a chance to check. A wireshark trace would confirm.

Best Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos

Jon

Is there any other way to improve this performance issue over WAN ? We have users who connect from various regions globally to run reports over the WAN with varying delays - 4ms, 100ms, 250 ms. I believe getting the farthest user some decent performance will benefit all. I am more than happy to share the feedback of the web reporter with you.

-Shridhar

0 Kudos