cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imtrying
Level 10

Web Reporter shows bytes but all blocked

Jump to solution

I have a question about Web Reporter.  I have a number of sites that are categorically blocked across the agency but yet it shows Bytes of traffic.  I am not following how it can be blocked on the request but still accumulate traffic volume.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Web Reporter shows bytes but all blocked

Jump to solution

byte_to_client still has a value populated with the number of bytes the actual block page sends back.

Your block pages are about 3.5k each.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

The block page sent to the client counts towards the traffic.

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

byte_to_client still has a value populated with the number of bytes the actual block page sends back.

Your block pages are about 3.5k each.

0 Kudos
imtrying
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks,  Can I block the traffic before it is sent?  If not can I remove this traffic from the summary page of the reporter?

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

What is the goal? To completely remove references to blocks from the reports, or to reduce the bytes for blocks to 0?  Is it for all blocks, or just certain sites?

0 Kudos
imtrying
Level 10

Jump to solution

Man you are fast.  Thanks very much for the help. 

I was thinking that removing the traffic of blocked sites from the network all together would help thru-put.  It seems unproductive to send those bytes to the client just to have them blocked.

I think that I can create a report  that will only show 'allowed' so that should not be an issue.

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

Well, I don't think you want to completely get rid of the block pages since that is what tells the end user why their page isn't loading.  If Web Gateway deosn't send a block page, then the user wouldn't know what's happening and could look like the server is down, or not responding.

If you know certain URLs are requests comeing from an application, such as streaming media site, or a stock ticker, then you could prevent a block page sent for them.  But I really think you're talking about a very very small ammount of the total traffic and not likely to have any significant impact on your network thru-put.  It doesn't seem worth the effort to investigate, implement, then manage.  It's very likely that the ammount of work that Web Gateway would do to handle these special cases would be more load on the appliance.

Are you seeing performance issues for your web traffic?  I'm wonding if we are still working back to what your real issue is.

0 Kudos