cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karthago
Level 9

Web Reporter & SQL Server Encryption

Jump to solution

Hi, is there a way to enable SQL Server Encryption in Web Reporter (5.2.1.01)? I'm using SQL Server 2012 database and what i get is:

from Web Reporter:

webrep.jpg

from SQL Server Log:

Date 25.07.2013 08:10:02
Log SQL Server (Current - 25.07.2013 01:35:00)

Source Logon

Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client library does not support encryption; the connection has been closed. Please upgrade your client library. [CLIENT: xxx.xxx.xxx
.xxx]

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthago
Level 9

Re: Web Reporter & SQL Server Encryption

Jump to solution

Hi,

i set up the SQL Server 2012 on the local machine where Web Reporter is running, this seems to be the only possible solution at the moment. Disabled encryption in SQL Server...

FYI

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

I don't think it's supported.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
karthago
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ok - but encryption is enabled by default in SQL Server 2012 so this should be supported by Web Reporter as well.

0 Kudos
karthago
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

would it be possible to redirect Web Reporter to a SQL Server Native Client ODBC data source (on the local machine)? Maybe NCLI could encrypt T-SQL data and and pass it to the SQL Server.

Thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

I'm not familiar with NCLI, so I cannot say for sure.  Google didn't produce very good search results either.   To the best of my knowledge, nobody has tried this, but  I'd say give it a try on a non-production system if you want.  If DB Maintenance and index maintenance routines work, then you should be safe.   I would say that we are very unlikely to make any changes to the maintenance routines or DB schema in the future.

But essentially, this would be an unsupported platform, which essentially means that if you have problems and call support, we will make a best effort to answer your questions, but if your issue seems to be caused by the configuration, we cannot escalate the issue as a bug.

0 Kudos
karthago
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ok i will try this and keep you informed ;-)

Second option would be to setup a local SQL Server and let Web Reporter connect to it (unencrypted). SQL Server would then link to the remote SQL Server instance, which has encryption enabled, via a "Linked Server":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx

0 Kudos
karthago
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

i set up the SQL Server 2012 on the local machine where Web Reporter is running, this seems to be the only possible solution at the moment. Disabled encryption in SQL Server...

FYI

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting back your results so that others may benifit from your work.

0 Kudos