Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jebotha
Level 9

Web Gateway SSL Scanning Load

Jump to solution

Hi

Is there any document giving guidelines on determining the extra load that enabling SSL scanning will have on a Web Gateway appliance or Virtual Appliance. The reason I am asking is that I have advised that we enable SSL scanning on a set of web gateways, but need to determine how this will affect performance. Also, if I need to recommend memory or CPU upgrades, I need to provide proof why.

I know I can check the dashboards to see the average HTTP vs. HTTPS traffic at the moment, the average memory usage and the average CPU usage, but how do I find out what th effect will be before I enable this feature on a production network?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Web Gateway SSL Scanning Load

Jump to solution

General rule of thumb. 1 HTTPS request = 2 HTTP requests from a performance perspective.

Since we measure everything in requests/second when we size, that's roughly how I factor it in.

If you had a proxy averaging 100 Req/Sec of HTTP and 50 Req/Sec of HTTPS when you aren't decrypting (150 Req/Sec total)

Then that would be about 200 Req/Sec when you are decrypting.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

General rule of thumb. 1 HTTPS request = 2 HTTP requests from a performance perspective.

Since we measure everything in requests/second when we size, that's roughly how I factor it in.

If you had a proxy averaging 100 Req/Sec of HTTP and 50 Req/Sec of HTTPS when you aren't decrypting (150 Req/Sec total)

Then that would be about 200 Req/Sec when you are decrypting.

0 Kudos
jebotha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the feedback. It should help us make a decision

0 Kudos