Did you mean: 
Highlighted
krit
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Web Gateway Log file size sent to CSR calculation

Hello everyone,

Is there any simple way to calculate the log size that is transferred from MWG to CSR during a certain period of time?

The purpose is to define the CSR local hard disk space in order to meet the following suggestion from the CSR product guide: "Approximately 1 GB of temporary space is needed on the Content Security Reporter server for every GB of log data collected and processed."

Thank you.

2 Replies
AaronT
Level 10
Message 2 of 3

Re: Web Gateway Log file size sent to CSR calculation

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'll go for it:

Under Configuration -> <appliance> Log File Manager, there is a section called "Enable auto rotation.  In that section when you enable log rotation, you can specify how big to make the file before it rotates and whether to gzip the file.  So if you set the file at 100 MB, and configured the rotation to run every 1 hour - every time the log file reached 100 mb, it would "rotate" and create another file.  Every hour, the log files are sent to CSR and the current log rotated (so you could send just 1 file or greater number of files).  

We opted to GZIP the file get compression of about 80-85%, which means the 100MBs of files would be 15-20 MB when sent to CSR.

Hope this helps

krit
Level 10
Message 3 of 3

Re: Web Gateway Log file size sent to CSR calculation

Dear Aaron,

Thank you very much for the reply. I will study it, test in details and provide the relevant feedback.

At first I m thinking if this auto-rotation option is related both with the auto pushing and the auto fetching option defined in the CSR, that is to say the "packing" of the log file to be transferred is the same, regardless the transfer method or there is something else to be taken into account.

Edit: I think the approach is the one you ve mentioned, yet from a different menu ( Policy > Settings > File System Logging ) and choose whichever logs to be transferred to CSR.

Thanks again!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community