Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbolt
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Volume Quota - How Does It Work?

Hello.

i currently use the Volume Quota with URL configuration to limit access to social media sites but I've heard complaints that the VERY generous quota (like 8GB per day, that high for testing purposes) allotted runs out during the mornings shortly after the users get in to work. So I'd like to know what exactly controls the volume quota and is there any way that administrators can have more granular control over it?

What happens if a user needs to have their quota bumped up after finding that it's been depleted?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Volume Quota - How Does It Work?

Hi Kbolt,

That's a bit strange... 8gb seems like a lot to fill up. Content Security Reporter should be able to run reports based on the actions taken by the user to help explain where the quota went. It does this based on the block reasons put into the log files.

Volume quotes work based on IP or user information (assuming you're authenticating). If you're performing authentication this should be less likley but perhaps the rules apply to a wider variety of sites than you intended, which causes them to always hit the volume quota --- though 8gb seems like a lot.

If you were not authenticating, then is it possible that you have a NAT where users all seem to come from the same IP? Therefore the volume quota applies to a network of users rather than a single one?

As far as bumping a quota, its not possible to add more unless you add it to the configuration.

Best Regards,

Jon

kbolt
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

We are authenticating users and we apply the quota based on user information. I'll try the CSR reports to see where exactly it's all going. Will also check my rules once more. Thank you.

kbolt
Level 10
Message 4 of 4

Hello Jon.

Just seeking clarification regarding difference between Volume Quota URL Config vs Volume Quota User Authentication.

I'm assuming that URL Config assigns the quota values to the URL categories identified, so if I had a daily quota of 8GB and the in URL categories I look for include social media, then all instances of social media going through the proxy would be limited to 8GB for the single day.

Then User Authentication config would instead mean that 8GB quota would be assigned to the users or user groups I look for in the criteria for the rule.

So one maps the quota to URL categories while the other maps it to the users themselves. Am I on the right track?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community