cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtomko
Level 8

Virtual appliance best practices

What would be best options to configure virtual appliances. i.e. vmware virtual machine settings for MWG 7.x.

First, i would like to ask about type of networking adapter: is vmxnet3/2 supported by MWG 7? Will I get any performance gain changing adapter type?

What about virtual disk types?

Any other conderations(number of cores per socket, ....)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
prajoshgeorge
Level 10

Re: Virtual appliance best practices

0 Kudos
dtomko
Level 8

prajoshgeorge,

thanks for your response. Interesting videos, but really "lite" because it uses vmware player as hypervisor. I would be interested in using advanced ESXi features that I have mentioned and whether I would gain any performance increase with that.

0 Kudos
skloepping
Level 9

Hey dtomko,

for a general and supported setup you may want to cionsult our Product Guide:

Web Gateway 7.3.1 Product Guide

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24275

Requirements for setting up a virtual appliance

To set up a virtual appliance, the following is required:

• One of the following VMware types:

• VMware ESX

• VMware ESXi

VMware Workstation version 5.5 or later is not supported, but can be used for testing purposes.

• Virtual machine host system with the following specifications:

• CPU — 64‑bit capable

• Virtualization extension — VT‑x/AMD‑V

• Virtual machine with the following specifications:

• Memory — 4 GB

• Hard disk space — 200 GB

• CPU cores — 2 (minimum)

Saying that i would have to say that the sizing really depends on your setup, needs, deployment, rule sets, used features (SSL Scanner) and so on. The only thing i would recommend is not to use web cache in a virtual environment which could(!) lead to I/O Performance issues. But as always, there is no general "do not do that" rule.

Network cards: E1000 | VMXNET 3 are supported, say i would suggest to use vmxnet3 cause this drivers onloads a bit more of cpu usage from the VM to the hypervisor.

Disk: BusLogic Controller (recommended) but LSI Logic Controller is also supported. Thin or Thick provisioning? Well, i would always go thin if your storage is capeable of doing the realy I/O work.

Best Regards

SK

0 Kudos