Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Virtual appliance best practices

What would be best options to configure virtual appliances. i.e. vmware virtual machine settings for MWG 7.x.

First, i would like to ask about type of networking adapter: is vmxnet3/2 supported by MWG 7? Will I get any performance gain changing adapter type?

What about virtual disk types?

Any other conderations(number of cores per socket, ....)?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Virtual appliance best practices

Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

prajoshgeorge,

thanks for your response. Interesting videos, but really "lite" because it uses vmware player as hypervisor. I would be interested in using advanced ESXi features that I have mentioned and whether I would gain any performance increase with that.

Highlighted

Hey dtomko,

for a general and supported setup you may want to cionsult our Product Guide:

Web Gateway 7.3.1 Product Guide

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24275

Requirements for setting up a virtual appliance

To set up a virtual appliance, the following is required:

• One of the following VMware types:

• VMware ESX

• VMware ESXi

VMware Workstation version 5.5 or later is not supported, but can be used for testing purposes.

• Virtual machine host system with the following specifications:

• CPU — 64‑bit capable

• Virtualization extension — VT‑x/AMD‑V

• Virtual machine with the following specifications:

• Memory — 4 GB

• Hard disk space — 200 GB

• CPU cores — 2 (minimum)

Saying that i would have to say that the sizing really depends on your setup, needs, deployment, rule sets, used features (SSL Scanner) and so on. The only thing i would recommend is not to use web cache in a virtual environment which could(!) lead to I/O Performance issues. But as always, there is no general "do not do that" rule.

Network cards: E1000 | VMXNET 3 are supported, say i would suggest to use vmxnet3 cause this drivers onloads a bit more of cpu usage from the VM to the hypervisor.

Disk: BusLogic Controller (recommended) but LSI Logic Controller is also supported. Thin or Thick provisioning? Well, i would always go thin if your storage is capeable of doing the realy I/O work.

Best Regards

SK

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community