cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Travler
Level 10

Video hosting discovery tool/process...?

Jump to solution

One of the most common issues I have to solve is "The video won't play on such-n-such website."  Troubleshooting this can be difficult, especially if the video is hosted from a different site.  Depending on the type of video, right-clicking may only provide information concerning the player (flash, shockwave, etc.) and not the site.

Is anyone aware of any good tools - or maybe processes that I haven't thought of - that can help discover where a video is actually hosted?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jont717
Level 12

Re: Video hosting discovery tool/process...?

Jump to solution

If you are looking for a good tool to see where the video is pulling from, install Fiddler.  http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Make sure to turn on the HTTPS function. It is off by default.

With Fiddler running, you can then browse to the web page, play the video, and Fiddler will show you exactly where the video is pulling from.  It can also show you block pages from the Web Gateway that maybe do not get displayed to the user.  A lot of video errors are due to the Progress Indication page and then it thinks it has to download it. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Travler,

This too was a very common question from customer prior to 7.1.6 as the default rules did  perform streaming detection very well, as a result videos would be scanned and passed slowly resulting in issues with videos playing.

In 7.1.6 the "streaming detector" was introduced and allows Web Gateway to handle streaming files much better.

Please check out my article which outlines the changes from version to version:

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3348

If you are not sure if you have the streaming detector in place please send a screenshot of your gateway antimalware rules.

Best,
jon

0 Kudos
Travler
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply!  It appears that I do NOT have the streaming detector in place.

MWG anti-malware rules.png

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Here is a screenshot of what the 7.3 rules look like:

stream.png

As my changelog document outlines, this is NOT a rule that you would get with the upgrade, so you would have to put it in place manually.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
alexott
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hi

Yes, this rule isn't upgraded automatically, but you can import new "Gateway Anti-malware" rule from rule library, and it will include streaming detection.

Please, take into account, that bugfix release 7.2.0.3 will released in near future, and will include improvements in RTMP streams detection.

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

7.2.0.3 is available :-)

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
jont717
Level 12

Jump to solution

If you are looking for a good tool to see where the video is pulling from, install Fiddler.  http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Make sure to turn on the HTTPS function. It is off by default.

With Fiddler running, you can then browse to the web page, play the video, and Fiddler will show you exactly where the video is pulling from.  It can also show you block pages from the Web Gateway that maybe do not get displayed to the user.  A lot of video errors are due to the Progress Indication page and then it thinks it has to download it. 

0 Kudos
Travler
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies, everyone! 

I've installed Fiddler and it quickly helped me discover the source of my "problem" video.

I've also installed 7.2.0.3 and will be checking out the streaming detector ruleset when I get some time.

0 Kudos