cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SOCKS on Webgateways

A few questions about this:

1. Is there any support provided by McAfee if this is enabled?
  2. Are there any considerations when implementing on McAfee appliances?
    1. eg/ load on WG5500s, WW500s
    2. Use separate network interface from web traffic
  3. How commonly is this implemented
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Using SOCKS on Webgateways

Anyone got any comments good/bad about this?

Thx

0 Kudos
cryptochrome
Level 7

*bump*

Would be interested as well...

0 Kudos
cnewman
Level 10

Must have slipped through the cracks.

Yes it's supported, albeit in a limited fashion. In a future release (soon, but no promises) SOCKS support including authentication will be built into the policy, currently the SOCKS proxy just proxies the traffic and any authentication or ACLs must be done via the socks config.

It does add load, but without knowing what protocols and amount there is no way to guess how much. In the current implementation, since we do not scan, the load will not be massive, but as I said, not enough info.

SOCKS runs on a different port, so the interface doesn't particularly matter.

There are a number of customers with this implemented, generally for very specific use cases (scp to partners or ftp) so feel free to use it if you have need.

--Christopher

Message was edited by: cnewman on 10/4/13 2:12:30 PM CDT
cryptochrome
Level 7

That is excellent news, Christopher. Could you be just a tiny tad more specific in regards to what version we can expect this? Will this come in the 7.4 series or do we have to wait longer than that?

We are currently migrating away from a custom built SOCKS and WW6 infrastructure towards MWG7 and we need a replacement for our SOCKS gateway. So if you're looking for beta testers, I'd be happy to jump on the train.

0 Kudos
Regis
Level 12

I was at FOCUS last week and during the web gateway preso, this SOCKS coming into the MWG product itself thing was mentioned.  In my notes I have that  it'll probably be in 7.4.1 is the current plan.     And that came with the usual caveats of no promises, etc. 

0 Kudos
cnewman
Level 10

Regis is correct. It is most likely coming in 7.4.1, however, this sort of thing is subject to change at any time.

--CN

0 Kudos
cryptochrome
Level 7

Oh joy. Can't wait to see this!

0 Kudos
rafaelgomes
Level 7

Hi Guys !

On version 7.6 - Do we support authentication for Socks ?

0 Kudos
Troja
Level 14

Hi,

i´m not shure if the SOCK protocol supports authentication in any way.

Cheers

0 Kudos