Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBO
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 16

Re: User Interface Certificate Error - only in 7.3.1

Thank you but why not simply copy the file using FTP/SCP to my station, edit it and copy it back to the server?  My last experience with vi is probably 20 years ago...   Ok, not that bad but, you got the feeling!!!  )

Or is it a section of the appliance we cannot access using FTP as is currently possible on 6.9.3?

sthe
Level 9
Message 12 of 16

Hello

You can access the file with WinSCP and directly edit it. I do not know if this works but it is possible. Remeber that you have to permit root access over SSH.

Best

Stefan

asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 13 of 16

I guess this depends on what you prefer 🙂

I walked many customers through the "vi" basics when no networking was available that I meanwhile try to convince people to at least know how to open a file, make a change and close the editor again. It is generally "the" last resort editor that is always available and that always works, so it won't hurt to use it from time to time (personal opinion, of course).

While your approach is definitely the more user-friendly and less "geek" way of modifiying the config file I have seen more than once that customers edited their configuration files with an editor (or better... MS Word) and stored the files again with different (windows style) line endings or encodings, breaking the complete file which means breaking MWG.

I hope it makes at least a minimum of sense 🙂

Best,

Andre

Nachricht geändert durch asabban on 07.03.13 17:20:28 MEZ
DBO
Level 9
Message 14 of 16

Oh yes, i understand you.  OK, I have to admit I used vi some months ago...   and yes, it's allways there and available but call me lazy but I prefer a fullscreen editor!!!    I allways keep a timestamp, before and after copy of a system file.  It's way too easy to make a mistake, add a lone CR/LF at the end of a file by mistake, etc...

Anyway, thank you, I will apply the fixe to my lab server..

sthe
Level 9
Message 15 of 16

You are right using vi you can ensure that the format does not get screwed up.

I do not know but I think if you edit the file with WinSCP the character encoding and EOL style should stay the same.

Really a bad idea using MS Word in this case.

asabban
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 16

Vi can run in full screen as well 😉 However I definitely get your point. Scrolling up and down and copy & paste is much more convenient in a graphical editor. Generally you should edit the way you prefer. It's the result that counts 🙂

Let me know if you were able to apply the change. I gave it a quick try on my lab box and it seems to work fine.

BTW we will try to update the KB article as well so that we can list this as a known issue.

Best,

Andre

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community