Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rukmalf
Level 9

Upgrading MWG From 7.2.0.3 to 7.3.2.7

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am planing to upgrade my MWG from 7.2.0.3 to 7.3.2.7.0. Does anyone have any comments on that? I mean is this a stable version?

I also want to know what would be the best thing to do?

1. upgrade the appliance or
  2. Re image it and restore the backup.

and when it comes to restoring a backup what are the pre-requisits? should they be in the same version? or can we restore from a lower version to a higher version?

Thankx in advance

Regards,

Rukmal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Upgrading MWG From 7.2.0.3 to 7.3.2.7

Jump to solution

An upgrade from the CLI is always a good idea.

Just follow our best practice:

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5036

You can restore a backup from an older version on a newer version, but not the otherway around.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
10 Replies
haaris
Level 10

Jump to solution

If u r planning to upgrade the appliance & u r using MWG in cluster then u have to remove the MWG from cluster & then u need to upgrade.....Same version for restoration is not necessary u can restore lower version to higher version,it will work.......

Whyh dont u upgrade it to 7.4.0??? i m using that & it is stable....

0 Kudos
rukmalf
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. This is a standalone setup. Anyways don't plan to go to 7.4 right now since it is a controlled release. may be once it has been in the field for sometime I might upgrade it to that

Any other ideas guys ?

Regards,

Rukmal

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

An upgrade from the CLI is always a good idea.

Just follow our best practice:

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5036

You can restore a backup from an older version on a newer version, but not the otherway around.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
rukmalf
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the reply. what would you think is the best approach?

1. Upgrade the existing system to 7.3.x.x or
  2. Reimage it and then restore the backup?

and the other thing I want to know is if i restore the backup will all the information including the network information such as IPs be restored?

Regards,

Rukmal

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hello,

if you restore the backup on the same machine (hardware) the backup has been taken from, all IP address information etc. will be restored. If you restore to a  different hardware, only the policy will be restored.

In my opinion it is safe go perform an upgrade. Reimage and restore is the way I would go when the upgrade fails for whatever reason.

Best,

Andre

rukmalf
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

According to Jons document if no internet is there it is recomended to re-image the appliance and then restore the backup. now in my situation we have a very slow internet connection so guess using yum will take ages. so was wondering if it would be ok to re-image it.

or is there a way to use the ISO to upgrade?

Regards,

Rukmal

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hello,

if I were in a situation with a low internet link I would run

yum --downloadonly upgrade

That will download all RPM packages required for an update. Afterwards you can call the update and it will proceed without downloading all the files from the internet, as they stay cached. Certainly re-image is fine, if you prefer that way.

There is no way to upgrade using the ISO.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
haaris
Level 10

Jump to solution

Are u sure If we  restore a backup to a  different hardware, only the policy will be restored????????

Bcoz as far as i think i had restore the backup on diff. hardware & it worked.....

PLz just confirm is this with diff version????

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

You cannot import a full backup from another machine in the UI.

In order to restore a full backup on another machine you would have to use the CLI.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos