Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex_vani
Level 7

Upgrade 2 MWG in cluster mode.

Jump to solution

Hi!

I’m on theprocess to upgrade 2 MWG appliances from 7.2x to 7.3.2.4, both appliances are joinedin Central Management Cluster. Let’s say mwg01(master node) y mwg02.

I’ve acouple of questions that I want to clarify, (please help me with the right answers) in order to prevent any issue during thesoftware upgrade.

Question:

By taking a backup file from management cluster, I’m only allowed to take a backup filefrom mwg01 since it is the master node. (My understanding is that from thisbackup file I will only be usable at appliance mwg01, (since it was obtained from), so, what if the the other appliance (mwg02) crashesduring the upgrade? What I understand is that this backup file won’t be usablefor appliance mwg02, since this backup file contains information related tomwg01. (Am I right?)

So in orderto avoid the mentioned above, I will proceed as follow.

1. - Take abackup file from central management.

2. - FromCentral Management, delete the mwg02.

a) Login to mwg01 & take abackup file.

b) Login to mwg02 & take a backup file.

3. - Proceed to upgrade mwg01 and then proceed to upgrade to mwg02.

(Ifanything goes wrong (hopefully not) J I will need to reimage theappliance with the same software version and being able to restore the backupfile for each appliance using their corresponding backup file). Please correctme if I could be wrong.

4. - Finally, once the appliances are fully upgraded then login to mwg01 (masternode), and add the mwg02 appliance.

A backupfile obtained from 7.2.x version can be imported on a reimage installation withversion 7.3.2.4?

Thank you in advance..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Upgrade 2 MWG in cluster mode.

Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

A backup taken from the cluster, contains the configuration for all nodes in the cluster.

So if you take a backup from mwgA (which has mwgB as a partner), the backup will be able to restore on mwgA and mwgB.

Yes an older backup can be imported on a newer version. Coversley, a newer backup cannot be imported on a older installation.

The steps for upgrading a cluster is outlined here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76905

Take note, taking the backup happens before removing all the nodes from the cluster.

Best,

Jon

2 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

A backup taken from the cluster, contains the configuration for all nodes in the cluster.

So if you take a backup from mwgA (which has mwgB as a partner), the backup will be able to restore on mwgA and mwgB.

Yes an older backup can be imported on a newer version. Coversley, a newer backup cannot be imported on a older installation.

The steps for upgrading a cluster is outlined here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76905

Take note, taking the backup happens before removing all the nodes from the cluster.

Best,

Jon

alex_vani
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you Jon,

Thanks for your information,

With the best !

0 Kudos