cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imtrying
Level 10

URL filtering Allows Domain name but blocks Domain name+page

I am needing some information:

I have a site that the url filter allow thru(as it should) but when the /index.html is added it gets blocked.  I thought that the system only filtered on the url?

Here is the site:

234eyes.com

so if I go straight to the site no problems, but If I select the home link from that page (http://www.234eyes.com/index.html) I get URL blocked.

Can anyone help me understand the URL filtering process?

Also, is there a site that I can use to see why it was categorized this way and appeal it if needed?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: imtrying on 9/12/11 1:24:16 PM CDT
0 Kudos
6 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: URL filtering Allows Domain name but blocks Domain name+page

From what I can tell, the domain 234eyes.com is not categorized at all.

The question is, what exactly is the block message you get? Blocked by URL database?

My guess is you are blocking on some other rule than oyu think you are.

One helpful trick i like to do is put the rule name onto the block page, so it displays on the page. That way you can see which rule is actually causing the block.

If you edit the Default Schema Collection and put the line I've underlined into the HTML near the end:

<td class='footData'>

generated <span id="time">$DateTime.ToISOString$</span> by $System.HostName$<br/>

$Header.Get$<br/>

Rule: $Rules.CurrentRuleSet.Name$ / $Rules.CurrentRule.Name$ <br/>

</td>

0 Kudos
imtrying
Level 10

Thanks Great troubleshooting tool. That should be part of the standard packageSmiley Happy

It appears that I am being blocked by this rule:

Name:
Block URLs Whose Category Is in Category BlockList

Comment:

Rule Criteria:
URL.Categories<Default> at least one in list Category BlockList "webusers"

Action:
Block

Events:
Statistics.Counter.Increment ("BlockedByURLFilter", 1)<Default>

blocked 2.bmpblocked.bmp

Message was edited by: imtrying on 9/12/11 3:49:37 PM CDT
0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Wow. I just got the same thing on mine, yet the raw URL database on TrustedSource.org shows it as uncategorized.

When I turn off the option for Do a forward DNS lookup to rate URL, it works.

I'm not sure why it happens this way, but the IP address probably had to have a reverse lookup done because it was un-categorized, and it was shared by another site that has those categories.

I put a ticket into TrustedSource.org (which you could do as well)  to have them review, but this might be a case for support if one of those guys wants to pipe up.

0 Kudos
imtrying
Level 10

Interesting to say the least.

What is the quickest work around if this happens again?

Where is the option for Do a forward DNS lookup to rate option?

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Check the site now. It appears to have been review by the web analysts and categorized now.

Submitting a ticket to TrustedSource.org is the most effective way to deal with False+.

This is the first time I've seen this occur in 1.5 years since MWG7 has been released, so it's not very common.

The Settings > URL Filter<Default> has the options to select the behaviour of the filter.

0 Kudos
dcaffrey
Level 10

I had the same problem with this site yesterday http://www.fondomonte.com, it was blocked as a Malicious Site wheras in fact it was UnCategorised, submitted it to TrustedSource and it's ok now

0 Kudos