Did you mean: 
nurmi
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

URL Reputation filter logging

Hi

I'm using McAfee Web Gateway 6.8.7

It seems that the reputation filter is logging in the /var/log/messages file.

Is there a way to make it log in to a dedicated file, posibly in the web gui.

I know that I can read the data from the messages file in to another file. But I think it is a bit foolish to spam the messages with the reputation filter logs.

Cheers

2 Replies
McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: URL Reputation filter logging

Hello Nurmi!

This is actually controlled by a setting in the GUI, you can find this under URL Filter > Web Reputation, if this is set to "Block & Log Reputation" then it will log to the /var/log/messages.

Putting this to a dedicated log on 6.x isnt the easiest, but you can just log "rep_level" in the access log, and it will be available there.

Let me know if this helps!

~Jon

nurmi
Level 7
Message 3 of 3

Re: URL Reputation filter logging

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

Basically I knew these options. I was just wondering if there were a way to get a dedicated file.

I might try the access log approach, although if it will log all the access events then the log will get huge very fast.

Actually the only reason I need the rep-logs is to weed out some of the false positives it is giving us.

And I can always grep and feed the events from the messages log.

Cheers

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.