cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Two different reputation result on same URL in Mcafee web gateway

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

I am getting two different reputation result for the same URL while I select "resident" "result showing as "Unverified".

But if I select "cloud" option for the same URL it is showing result as "Minimum risk", I am new to Mcafee URL checker.

Do I need to submit request to recategorization? why I am getting to different reputaion results?

How can I resolve this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 6

Re: Two different reputation result on same URL in Mcafee web gateway

Jump to solution

MWG is McAfee Web Gateway. The way you're going about this might be why there is confusion, but it is understandable if you are not the MWG admin.

I suggest making your decision based on the Cloud lookup rather than the resident.

By default the MWG uses cloud lookups.

Best Regards,

Jon

5 Replies
McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Jeyapaul!

This is to be expected. Think of the "resident" database as a trimmed down version of the cloud database. The resident contains the most popular and most accessed URLs. This helps reduce the number of cloud lookups required.

To sum up, the resident database is just a subset of what's in the cloud. In practice though, if something isnt in the resident database, MWG will perform a lookup against the cloud (if using default settings).

Does that help?

Best Regards,

Jon

Jump to solution

Thanks Jon,

I am deciding authority to allow or deny the requested URL after validation. If I am getting "Unverified" in resident database option.

Shall I deny this URL? your thoughts?

McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

The URL is categorized by the cloud so I wouldn't make the judgment solely based on the resident database results especially if the cloud says its minimal risk.

What category does your MWG show the site as? Is it according to the resident or the cloud? If its only resident, then I would suggest finding out why its not using the cloud (its a setting).

The cloud has many more URLs than the resident database, so if you're not using it then a lot of sites might show as unverified, when in fact they are.

Best Regards,

Jon

Jump to solution

For the below URL it is mentioned as unverified and if I select Cloud it is showing as Business and minimum risk. which one I need to consider?

In such a case, its very difficult to trust about the reputation.  What you mean by MWG? I am new to use this tool.

If it is unverified do we need to change any settings?

Res.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud.PNG

McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

MWG is McAfee Web Gateway. The way you're going about this might be why there is confusion, but it is understandable if you are not the MWG admin.

I suggest making your decision based on the Cloud lookup rather than the resident.

By default the MWG uses cloud lookups.

Best Regards,

Jon

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator