cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBO
Level 9

Server App need Internet access but does not support Proxy

Other then allowing the servers (Windows and Linux) to open an outgoing session across the firewall, what would be the option to reroute trafic for some specific port(s) to a WW Proxy?  I also have the same problem with the developpers of those applications.  My understanding (never used those) is that you can use Sock to reroute the trafic form the server/station to the proxy.  Am I right?

Do you have a list of Products / Tools to do that?  Any would also allow NTLM auth?

Didn't McAfee have such a client available?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Re: Server App need Internet access but does not support Proxy

Hello,

I think it is important to understand the term "does not support Proxy". Is the application speaking HTTP but does not allow to configure a proxy? In this case MWG could be deployed in a transparent mode. The application thinks it is talking to the internet directly, but MWG will intercept the traffic and filter it (if possible).

If the application is not speaking HTTP then MWG won't be able to filter it, since MWG is naturally a HTTP proxy. It ships with a SOCKS proxy which basically accepts connections on a port and allows to redirect the traffic to a destination. You can add some simple source/destination rules, but authentication is (at the moment) not possible, at least without further manual tweaking. Also the SOCKS proxy will in no way call the rule engine to apply any of the filters set there.

Additionally the application must support SOCKS.

Probably you rather need a plain TCP proxy that picks up traffic to a specific destination from the network and applies some rules on it. I believe this is probably a job for a firewall.

Maybe you could share some more information about the applications you are refering to and their issues talking through MWG. This could help.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
DBO
Level 9

The application does not support the configuration of a proxy.  I was more looking for something that would intercept HTTP request (or another TCP port) and relay it across WW.    WW in Transparent mode is not an option at this point.

0 Kudos
erodriguez
Level 7

If the application is trying to connect to a specific port, you can use the Mcafee client proxy to redirect the traffic you.

0 Kudos
DBO
Level 9

Is it in production or still in beta?  Is it included with WW licence or we have to pay for it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
erodriguez
Level 7

is in production. https://contentsecurity.mcafee.com/ can download it from your account. is included in the package Webgateway.

then you're inside, you go to tools. if you have not used it is recommended to download the manual.

0 Kudos
DBO
Level 9

If nothing else work, read the manual...  )

0 Kudos