Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Search Engine Results Blocked

I have an interesting problem.  I have several users who utilize other search engines besides Google, yahoo, etc.  and somehow  the when they go to the sites are run a search - the "results" of the searches are not being retrieved.    If I remove the McAfee Webgateway and use ISA or Websense they work flawlessly.  I whitelisted some of these sites and still doesn’t work.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

try  - I’m curious if the results don’t work for anyone using mcafee.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 7

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

I am having the same problem and I need to solve this problem ASAP!. You can see this a global issue here:

If I de-install McAfee the Windows 7 Search works fine. So, this is evidently a problem with the McAfee product.

McAfee products installed:

McAfee Agent 

Version number:


Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0.0 

Version number:

Language: English (United States)



Safeboot Device Encryption 

Version number: 5.2.8

Language: English (United States)



McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise Plus 

Version number:

Language: Multiple


     Version: 1

     Install Date: 2/18/2011 11:02:08 AM



McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module 

Version number:

Language: Multiple



VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 

Version number: 8.7i (

Build date: 1/6/2010


Anti-virus License Type: licensed


Scan engine version (32-bit): 5400.1158


DAT version: 6497.0000

DAT Created on: 2011/10/12


Number of Signatures in extra.dat: 0

Name of threats that extra.dat can detect: None 

Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT version: 516


Installed Patches: 3


Installed Modules: 


  License Type: licensed



Copyright © 1995-2010 McAfee, Inc. 

All Rights Reserved. 

System details:

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:          Member Workstation

OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

System Manufacturer:       Hewlett-Packard

System Model:              HP Compaq 6530b (NA407UC#ABM)

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIn

tel ~2801 Mhz

BIOS Version:              Hewlett-Packard 68PDD Ver. F.17, 12/2/2010

Total Physical Memory:     3,996 MB

Available Physical Memory: 2,085 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size:  7,991 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 5,743 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:    2,248 MB

Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys


0 Kudos
Level 17

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

Hi Carlos,

most likely the search results are loaded via JavaScript or an Ajax call, which means that - in case Web Gateway blocks them for whatever reason - you won´t be able to see a block page that tells you something was blocked.

Did you have a chance to look into the access.log and look if one of your requests was blocked? A status code of "403" would be an indicator that something was blocked, "500" would probably tell something else went wrong. Maybe you can review and/or share some lines of the log showing the issue.

I am sorry Maximusar, but I think you are seeing a different problem. Cestrada is facing issues with a McAfee product placed into the network when accessing search engines on the Internet. The issue you describe seems to occur for Windows PC with a local (endpoint) McAfee installation and the Windows Desktop search.

Since the issue you mention seems to have a bigger impace, please make sure you have an SR filed with our support departments to get this issue resolved asap. In case you would like to rely on the community, please move your questions to the community for endpoint products - unfortunately the people within the Web Gateway community won´t be able to assist you with your problem.



0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

Hello Andre,

I dont see anything in the logs pertaining to any blocks but as I mentioned if I remove the mcafee from the equation it works fine. 

When you stated " Web Gateway blocks them for whatever reason - you won´t be able to see a block page that tells you something was blocked"--what exactly does this mean to resolve this issue??

0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

Just tried from behind MWG and recieved this error:

Sorry, an error has occurred. Please go to the Dogpile homepage and try again. If that does not solve the issue, please notify us at

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

I have seen the issue, it has to do with the "X-Forwarded-For" header being added by the Web Gateway. This is a standard proxy header, but it appears that the dogpile servers do not like it.

To resolve it, simply remove the X-Forwarded-For header from outbound requests.

See attached ruleset which demonstrates how to perform this.


0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

I don’t particularly like the idea to remove X Forwarding.  Is there a way to modify this XML to only remove for this search engine only---- somewhat of a whitelist for these problems.

Message was edited by: cestrada on 10/18/11 3:43:53 PM CDT
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Re: Search Engine Results Blocked

Well removing the X-Forwarded-For header isnt a big deal, it's really only used by proxies.

There is no need to modify the XML file, you can import it into the Web Gateway and modify it as you want. Like to only remove the header if the URL.Host matches * for example..


0 Kudos