Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ztamas
Level 9

SFTP domain based authentication

Jump to solution

Hi,

Could someone tell me is it possible to authenticate the SFTP traffic basis on NTLM or Kerberos through SOCKS proxy?
I tried to connect and authenticate through the SOCKS proxy with WINSCP but it is not working.
I've found an option in the Kerberos authentication settings (SOCKS Kerberos specific parameters) but I don't know what it means. There is no information in the documentation about it.

Screen_02 Oct. 18 10.28.jpg

Thanks,
Zoltan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bwallace1
Level 9

Re: SFTP domain based authentication

Jump to solution

Hi Zoltan -

As long as you are using SOCKS v5 this is possible.

• NTLM, LDAP, etc, will work but note that NTLM needs to have “allow basic” enabled.
  • Kerberos auth (GSS API) requires updating the keytab file to include a SPN for the RCMD service:

Follow the Kerberos setup guide in the community: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2682

It is best to have a rule set specifically for SOCKS traffic, so it is isolated from normal traffic. Within this rule set is where authentication would occur. Attached is a template for SOCKs which uses NTLM authentication.

4 Replies
bwallace1
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Zoltan -

As long as you are using SOCKS v5 this is possible.

• NTLM, LDAP, etc, will work but note that NTLM needs to have “allow basic” enabled.
  • Kerberos auth (GSS API) requires updating the keytab file to include a SPN for the RCMD service:

Follow the Kerberos setup guide in the community: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2682

It is best to have a rule set specifically for SOCKS traffic, so it is isolated from normal traffic. Within this rule set is where authentication would occur. Attached is a template for SOCKs which uses NTLM authentication.

akill
Level 9

Jump to solution

I hope in a future mcafee can support sftp or ftps natively

0 Kudos
ztamas
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Bwallace1,

Thanks for your help! The basic authentication is working perfectly.

Could you tell me what is the RCMD service?

Thanks!

Regards,

Zoltan

0 Kudos
jdepriest
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the wonderful example rule set.

It is much more thorough than what I came up with and provides lot of tuning opportunities.

-Jasey

0 Kudos