Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabriel_86
Level 9

Rule Tracing Central - Java Error on 7.3.2.1

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Today we upgrade the MWG by 7.3.0.1 to 7.3.2.1 for testing the new troubleshooting engine. (This version was released a couple of days ago).

We've just a MWG-TEST for testing use; it is the 7.3.1 release with this new trouble solving method.

Unfortunately after the upgrade the mwg-prod gives an error when enabling the "Rule Tracing Central" policy.

Infact, when you select a entry after entering the IP adress that should be monitored, a java error (like the posted image) appears. Anyone can tell us if experience the same problem? it's quite embarassing, because the previous version (on the mwg-test) didn't report the same issue :-)

on 6/14/13 5:07:15 AM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Rule Tracing Central - Java Error on 7.3.2.1

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel,

This error indicates there is some unexpected character in the file, which causes the error.

This could be caused by your rules, or ruleset names for example if you use strange characters.

Ultimatley I would recommend opening a support case to get to the bottom of the issue.

This issue wouldnt exist on 7.3.0.1 because visual rule tracing isnt there. Or if on your test box you are running 7.3.2.0, but dont have the problem, I would wonder if you have an identical configuration (rules and ruleset names).

From version 7.3.2.0 to 7.3.2.1 there was only two fixes unrelated to rule tracing.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel,

This error indicates there is some unexpected character in the file, which causes the error.

This could be caused by your rules, or ruleset names for example if you use strange characters.

Ultimatley I would recommend opening a support case to get to the bottom of the issue.

This issue wouldnt exist on 7.3.0.1 because visual rule tracing isnt there. Or if on your test box you are running 7.3.2.0, but dont have the problem, I would wonder if you have an identical configuration (rules and ruleset names).

From version 7.3.2.0 to 7.3.2.1 there was only two fixes unrelated to rule tracing.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
gabriel_86
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for your helpful information.

You was right. In fact the problem is in the Authentication Rule Set. Our SysAdmins have create the AD Group with the "&" character that cause the problem during the troubleshooting. I think that we can't do more. So there will be no solutions until the SysAdmin will change the AD groups name (much improbable).

Thanks a lot again,

Best Wishes

Gabriel

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I would still ask that you file a support case and include the rule traces that generate the error. Please let me know the SR # such that I can take a look.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
gabriel_86
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Jon,

I'm going to open the SR. When done let you know the SR #.

Thanks a lot for your support,

Best

Gabriel

0 Kudos
gabriel_86
Level 9

Jump to solution

hi Jon,
As promise the SR Number:

SR: 3-3141477233

Thanks again,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks Gabriel! Looks like Stefan is helping you out and has already raised it with dev.

0 Kudos
gabriel_86
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Here the support answer about the issue;

"Engineering has finished analyzing the data you providedand will be releasing 7.3.2.2 at the end of July which will address this issue.They've also identified a work-around:

As a workaround, open the file and replace the"&" in line 8 with "&". It's just the "item" tags that don't escapeproperly, other parts of the trace file are not affected by this bug. I'll update you as soon as 7.3.2.2 has been released."

Great work,

Best

Gabriel

0 Kudos