cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to New Appliance

We are getting rid of our physical MWG appliances and replacing them with VMs in a new data center but will be running them in parallel while we do the cutover.  We installed the ISO on the VM and configured all the preliminary information and I can log in fine.

Now I'd like to do a restore so I don't have to manually set everything up again.  Also, I need the new appliance to get all of the same info, configs, rules, etc. but not the old IPs as it can cause a major conflict on our network (I need the new appliances to keep the IPs they currently have).  When I try to do a restore, I get an error "Restore failed due to following exception:  failed to restore backup of sent configuration:  cannot find own UUID in backup...and it provides the UUID of the old appliance.

I've gone through https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Documents/Web-Gateway-Restoring-a-backup-after-a-Hardware-replacemen...

Is there a way to do this safely?  I hear there may be unintended consequences and I don't want to run into problems months or years from now that stem from restoring a hardware appliance to a VM with a different UUID.

Any ideas on how to do this?  Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies
McAfee Employee mkutrieba
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Restoring to New Appliance

Hi,

Following this article you should be fine. In every backup you have a policy and a configuration part. The config part is related to the system itself (contains deployment, IP addresses, etc.). Therefore, the UUID from the machine where you have taken the backup from is needed to restore it on a different machine.

Here you also have the opportunity to only restore the policy part (shoul work via UI as well) and for that the UUID is not needed. But if I understand you correctly you also want to have the configuration and so you would need to follow the article, fetch the UUID and do the restoration via CLI.

What exactly do you mean with " Is there a way to do this safely?  I hear there may be unintended consequences"?

Regards,

Marcel

McAfee Employee aloksard
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

The Web Gateway backup contains all configurations and policies for your entire central management cluster. The UUID identifies the configuration part (IP, DNS, routing and so on) for each individual machine.

Below article is the way to  restoring your configuration from a backup in the event of an appliance replacement or new VM installation:-

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Documents/Web-Gateway-Restoring-a-backup-after-a-Hardware-replacemen...

You can restore complete backup menaing policy/configuration if you want same settings. Remember IP Address settings will also be restored on new MWG , so make sure to take care of it.

NOTE:- Windows domain membership/kerboras stuff will not be their in backup which needs to be configured manaually if required.

Regards

Alok Sarda

Hi everybody.  I have read the article but I have a doubt, the new appliance must have the same MWG version and hardware??  or it's not important?  I have a case, I have 2 MGWs: 1 virtual appliance and 1 appliance physical.  I want to change the appliance physical for a new model and update MGW version. in both virtual and physical. What is the correct procedure?

Please your recommendations.

Regards.

Vanessa

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community