Hope you are doing well.
Please find the below steps to Reset Root MWG Password either on Physical/VM machines
1. Ensure that you have a keyboard and monitor hooked to your appliance.
2. Reboot the appliance.
3. Press 'a' when the GRUB bootloader appears.
4. Append " init=/bin/bash" at the prompt: <eadline console=ttyS0, 19200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/sda1
# Making it read something similar to: <eadline console=ttyS0, 19200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/sda1 init=/bin/bash
5. Press Enter to boot.
6. Remount the '/' partition: mount -o remount,rw /
7. Type 'passwd' at the prompt. The system prompts you for a new password.
8. Enter the new password.
9. Sync data in memory to HD: sync
10. Reboot the appliance (CTRL+ALT+DEL).
This was tried in the Lab and it works.
You can also refer to the link below:-
This is Mentioned in the Community Site .
Reset Root password | https://mcafee-external-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/66594?start=0&tstart=0
Get physical access (monitor + keyboard, VMware console, etc)
- Reboot (CTRL+ALT+DEL)
- On the red "GNU GRUB" screen which shows available kernels (right before the OS loads) hit "e" on the keyboard
- The screen will slightly change, showing the boot options to you. An entry like "kernel /boot/..." should be highlighted. Hit "e" on the keyboard again
- Now the screen turns black... hit space and add init=/bin/bash to whatever the line looks like. Hit Enter.
- Hit "b" to boot with the modified settings
- You end up at a shell
- Mount the / partiton writable: mount -o remount,rw /
- Change the password by using passwd root
- Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
The system reboots now.
Below is also for your information:-
From version 7.7.1 or above, it's also possible to reset the root password from within the UI, via Troubleshooting > Reset appliance password.
If running MWG with version 7.7.1 or above then he can directly reset root password from MWG GUI.
Take MWG GUI access-> Navigate to option Troubleshooting-> Appliance -> Reset appliance password