cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SecPro
Level 7

Options to update Webwasher appliance?

Hello,

I am still using Webwasher 6.7.6 build 3649.  Can anyone tell me what are my options for updating the appliance?  Do I need to upgrade straight to 7.x or can I stay in some 6.x version? Will the update window give me the options to select an update version?  or will it update to the latest?

thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: Options to update Webwasher appliance?

The current version of 6 is 6.8.7-7612.

When you do the appliance update in the UI, it will only go up to that version.

6.7.x has been end of Life for about a year already. You should definitely update to 6.8. There is no reason not to.

You are not compelled at this time to upgrade to 7.0. There is no End of Life announced for 6.8 yet and will be supported for quite some time still.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/support/customer_service/end_life.html

0 Kudos
SecPro
Level 7

Hi Erik,

thanks for quick reply.  Do I need to be connected to the appliance via SSH to see what happens when it reboots?  According to McAfee tech support, I should be connected to the appliance in case it asks to do a "check disk".  Now, if I connect using a SSH client will I not be disconnected when it reboots, how will I know what is the status of the appliance while rebooting? or does it keep you logged in even thru the reboot?

Also, when making a backup of the appliance what should I be backing up?  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

If you've already consulted support, do whatever they said.

But as general guidance, just download all the options in the menus:

Configuration > File Management > Configuration data

> Error Files

> Share Folder

During a reboot and a disk check, you cannot connect to the network because networking is not running yet. You'd have to connect via the console.

But you could always do a reboot first before you upgrade and it will do ask at that time and not during the update itself. Although, I don't think it would matter either way.

Once you have the backup completed and rebooted, then just choose the update in UI and it will perform the task. It takes a little while to download, then it reboots and comes back up.

I've never seen an update fail in any major way, but just to be cautious because we are in the IT industry, download and have an ISO of 6.7.6-3649 available. In a worst-case, you can re-image with that version, and restore the backups in no time at all.

0 Kudos
SecPro
Level 7

Hi Erik,

Thanks again for your input.  where do I download the ISO of 6.7.6-3649 from? directly from the appliance, if so may I ask how to do that?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Old version:

Webwasher Appliance ISO6.7.63649-5.0.11

https://extranet.webwasher.com/archive?action=download&file=archive%2Fappliance%2Fwwappl-6.7.6-3649-...

Latest version:

Webwasher Appliance ISO6.8.77612-5.1.9

https://extranet.webwasher.com/appliance?action=download&file=appliance%2Fwwappl-6.8.7-7612-5.1.9.is...

You need an extranet account. I bet you already have one and just don't know it. If you private email me your real information (name, company, email), I'll look it up and send you a password reset that you can access it with.

0 Kudos
SecPro
Level 7

Thank you Erik for all your help.  I found my user id and password for the extranet account.  I will download the image, just in case.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos