Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shubham87
Level 9

Not able to add MWG7.2 to domain

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am not able to add MWG to domain. I am using domain administrator account to add Web gateway to domain for NTLM authentication.

The status is shown in Red and also on the dashboard I am getting the error that domain cannot be contacted.

Please suggest the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Shubham Arora

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asabban
Level 17

Re: Not able to add MWG7.2 to domain

Jump to solution

Hello,

using the IP address does not eliminate issues with DNS. The first communication will be done via IP but Lookups will happen, because the protocol relies on DNS. From my experience using IP addresses will always cause issues, so my general recommendation is to use the FQDN instead of IP addresses. I am not sure if this is written down somewhere but I strongly recommend to use the FQDN. If DNS is a problem enter the FQDN and the associated IP address into the /etc/hosts file. This will ensure DNS works as expected in most cases.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

Almost all problems related to joining the domain are related to DNS.

You must make sure that the MWG is using the DNS on the Domain Controller and that there are DNS A records and PTR records for the appliance.

Both MWG and the DCs must be able to forward and reverse lookup each other.

If you cannot do this because of your environment, then you need to look into adding hosts entries for the DCs in /etc/hosts on the appliance.

0 Kudos
shubham87
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am using the IP address of domain controller while adding the appliance to domain.

So that eliminates any issue with DNS.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Shubham Arora

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hello,

using the IP address does not eliminate issues with DNS. The first communication will be done via IP but Lookups will happen, because the protocol relies on DNS. From my experience using IP addresses will always cause issues, so my general recommendation is to use the FQDN instead of IP addresses. I am not sure if this is written down somewhere but I strongly recommend to use the FQDN. If DNS is a problem enter the FQDN and the associated IP address into the /etc/hosts file. This will ensure DNS works as expected in most cases.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
shubham87
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

I used FQDN instead of IP address and it worked. Since DNS server is working fine(checked from appliance CLI), I did not make any entry in /etc/hosts file.

Thanks

Shubham Arora

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Perfect. Thank you for letting us know.

best,

Andre

0 Kudos