cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imtrying
Level 10

Need information on IM filtering, monitering and blocking.

Is there any documentation on what MWG7 can do with IM.  We are in a big push to allow users IM.  What are the possibilities with MWG.  Does it only support the larger IM's, Yahoo, ICQ ect.  Can I block attachments,  Monitor\log messages?

Any and all information is appriciated,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bdoyle
Level 7

Re: Need information on IM filtering, monitering and blocking.

Hey,

MWG can be used for IM. But on the end user's machine, you need to modify the host file to force traffic for the IM application through your MEG appliance. with MSN, its just two entries (login.live.com and messenger.msn.com, i think) but you will need to find out what the entries are for the IM applicaton are needed... for Yahoo, i know its a HUGE list...

Then you need to create a rule set to log the traffic, there is a rule set to do this. I think that would allow you to run the IM via the MWG. It will log any file transfers and logon/logoffs by default.

Hope thats of help.

-Brian

0 Kudos
lubomir_cerny
Level 12

Hi,

it is realy strange, MGW7 come with ICQ proxy feature and there is no documentation available ? During my tests ICQ combines ICQ proxy port + is using normal http/https proxy. This results to no record in IM statistic ... Strange.

If there is any McAfee personel following this thread, please free document with description and steps needed to fullfill to use ICQ proxy feature.

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

it seems that there is a lack of IM documentation. I will check with the documentation team what we have available.

Basically MWG is capable of doing IM, but as mentioned earlier you need to ensure that DNS resolves to MWG or MWG gets the traffic transparently. I wrote a KB article for WIndows Live Messenger a while ago, but the idea should be similar to other IM services. The KB article is KB69000.

Please check the article to get a basic understanding of how IM is meant to work with MWG. I will see if I can find some documentation.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Hello,

we plan to extend the documentation about IM. We plan to provide a separate topic about IM and especially how to redirect the communication to MWG and hopefully add some examples. This should (if all goes well) become part of the next MWG version, which is scheduled for ~Q2 (no warranties on this).

In the meantime please direct questions/comments to the community. We will try to help where we can.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
mpuebla
Level 7

Asabban, where I can finde the updtaed information?

0 Kudos
imtrying
Level 10

Any information on this yet?

0 Kudos