cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itagsupport
Level 9

NTLM not working correctly when domain controllers configured with IP addresses

Hi

we just noticed that NTLM is not working when we configure the domain membership with IP addresses in the Domain Controller field.

Status is green, but authentication is not working. When we use the DNS names in this field (which resolve to the addresses we used in the IP address test), everything just works fine.

We went forth and back (IP/Name) several times; with the IP's, it's not working, with the DNS name, it is.

Does this field require the name (the doc doesn't say anything)?

Anyone seen this before?

Regards

Roman

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Re: NTLM not working correctly when domain controllers configured with IP addresses

Hi Roman,

from my experience you should always use the FQDN for configuring the DCs. I have seen many occasions when using the IP Address fails. This should definitely be part of the documentation, I will forward this to the appropriate team.

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos
Troja
Level 14

Re: NTLM not working correctly when domain controllers configured with IP addresses

Hi Andre,

i had the same problem. In an TCPDUmp Trace i saw always the error "Wrong Computer Name"

Is this a normal behaviour of NTLM or is this an wrong behaviour with McAfee WebGateway? If only DNS Names should be used it would be usefull to change the GUI in this way.

Best Regards,

Thorsten

0 Kudos
itagsupport
Level 9

Hi

i was just trying replacing the IPs by names and noticed another thing: the status always remains green, no matter what I enter in the Domain Controller field. Even if I enter bogus names that are not resolveable at all and point to nowhere, the status remains green.

Anyone ever saw this "LED" in another color? What does it indicate if not the connection to the DC?

Regards

Roman

0 Kudos