cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Microsoft Silverlight

Hi All

By adding text/xml  to the whitelist along with 3dr and .xap then I now have a larger proportion of Silverlight content displaying but obviously it is not ideal that I would have to whitelist these media types for all our users. I installed the firefox add on as suggested which is a useful little tool (I already had the IE equivalent).

I still cannot get the content on this page to display through the proxy and I get a server error. I think (from looking at the headers in firefox) that it is the zip file that is the problem that it needs to download to launch

http://www.silverlight.net/showcase/

Michael is there no way of creating a media type of Silverlight in the same way there is one for flash?

Ian

McAfee Employee jscholte
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 22

If you wish to add a media type for Silverlight you can do the following:

It may be necessary to add a media type catalog entry under Common > Media Type Catalog, see below for the information to add:

Add or modify Media Type: application/x-silverlight-app

File Extensions: xap

Magic bytes are necessary: checked

Magic bytes are ambiguous: unchecked

Offset: 0

Magic bytes: 504B0304

I worked with agperzan, and we also added a whitelist entry for the media type:

Type: String

String: application/x-silverlight-app

Entry type: Media Type

Apples: Any type

That worked!

Best,

~Jon

alexott
Level 11
Message 13 of 22

Jon, signature that you specified will also match to standard .zip archives (Siliverlight applications are really code packed into .zip archive).

In MWG7 we have special checker for zip-based files, that allows us to distinguish sliverlight from other types.

jogvan
Level 10
Message 14 of 22

Thanks Jon it works on MWG 7.1.0 

Jon, Can you add a screenshot for 7.3.2 where you add the catalog entry under Common > Media Type Catalog

I can't seem to find that.

Highlighted
pbrickey
Level 11
Message 16 of 22

Nate,

That doesn't exist in Web Gateway 7. For mwg 7 you typically just need to whitelist from progress pages.

It looks like I have the same problem but with the added difficulty of sliverlight not supporting proxy authentication. When in our organisation an older client (xp/win2003) opens the content, it switches to windows media player with a login prompt. But when a new Win 7 client opens the content it only wants to use Silverlight.

hello all,

i am struggling with the same issue. we are running mcafee webgateway 6.9 and users are having issues with playing silverlight videos.

has anyone found a definitive fix for this issue?

stifi
Level 7
Message 19 of 22

Dear all

I run into the same issue regarding the media type "application/x-silverlight-app" which seems not to be available also in MWG 7.3.0.2. If I read through this thread I'm not fully clear about if I can define custom media types unter MWG7? The one says "works on mwg7.1, the other says that does not exists in mwg7". Whitelisting separate url is not such a fancy solution, so am I able to define a custom media type in MWG7 or not?

Thx, Stefan

alexott
Level 11
Message 20 of 22

Hi Stefan

In the catalog we have the type 'application/x-silverlight' - I think, that the name was changed to match the "official" mime type from Microsoft

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center