cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee MWG How to block Crypto Currency Traffic

Hi,

Witch cathegory or signature MWG uses to identify Crypto Mining traffic (as CryptoNight, coinhive, etc)?

It's possible to block it globaly on MWG and create reports (or alert) to manage this kind of threat?

1 Reply
pcoates
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Mcafee MWG How to block Crypto Currency Traffic

From what I've found sites like coinhive will be categorized as Resource Sharing and/or PUPs (potentially unwanted programs).    coinhive belongs to both of these categories.

You can reference the category descriptions in the Trusted Source Category Set 4 referece:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22571

I'm hoping that we'll see a category update in the near future that will include a specific category for this so we can identify these sites more explicitly.

So currently I would say if you're blocking resource sharing and PUPs  you're probably blocking these sites and then you could create a report in Content Security Reporter for these categories.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community