cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brat009
Level 7

McAfee Webgateway Blocking certain media types from download

Hello,

i would like to know how i can prevent certain Usergroups from Downloading anything. Full Webaccess except global Blocklist and Category Blocks but no downloads allowed at all (we already have Webacces Groups, but they are allowed to download anything). Is that possible? If yes, how? And could I implement this for certain Filetypes too?  I already experimented a bit with Mediafiletypes and Wildcard expressions but i seem unable to find a solution.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Webgateway Blocking certain media types from download

Moved to Web Gateway for better support - Moderator

0 Kudos
frank_enser
Level 12

Hi,

this is quite easy and described in the Product Guide under section "Web Filtering", subsection "Media type filtering". Basically you insert the predefined Rule Set into your policy and select which media types to block.

Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
brat009
Level 7

Hi, thank you for the reply. To clarify: ive already been there and added everything available in that predefined list of mediatypes to block, i'll attach a screenshot. Might be a simple mistake from my side, i am not that experienced with it yet.

mediatypes.JPG

Although everything is included, as simple as trying to donwload a file from www.chip.de (e.g. WinZip) isnt blocked although all executable files are in shown MediaType Blocklist. Any further hints?

Thank you

0 Kudos
frank_enser
Level 12

Ah ok. I currently have no WebGateway at hand, but if I remember correctly there should be a type called "application/executable" (or something like that) and you should enable the "Composite Opener" (event "Enable Composite Opener").

0 Kudos
mbagheryan
Level 12

can you send me the rule exported and I will modify that then reply...

0 Kudos
brat009
Level 7

Thank you both for replying.

: I activated the event to enable the composite opener, still not the wished result, can still download the winzip.msi from chip.de. Should i try another file?

@M. B M: Here is the file: http://www.file-upload.net/download-9917343/2014-11-28_13-50_Testarea-brat009.xml.html]2014-11-28_13...

0 Kudos
frank_enser
Level 12

Ok, there is the error: MSI is no executable, it's a file for the MSI-Installer. You need to block type "windows-installer-base".

brat009
Level 7

Ill try that one out and post the result here, thanks.

Additional Question: So if i have literally everything from the default Mediatypes that were provided by the Webgateway (see the export ruleset), a lot of things should not be able to be downloaded, for example mp3's, right?

0 Kudos
brat009
Level 7

the Link  i proviided does not seem to work, try this one please File-Upload.net - 2014-11-28_13-50_Testarea-brat009.xml

0 Kudos