cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmalonzo
Level 7

McAfee Web Gateway E-mail alerts

Hi All,

Does MWG 7.3 has the capability to send automatic alerts via e-mail? for example user accessed a blocked website. can it send the alerts automatically to a specific receiver(E-mail add)?

Thanks in advance

Nelson

0 Kudos
10 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: McAfee Web Gateway E-mail alerts

Hi Nelson,

The MWG does indeed have the ability to send alerts via email. It can do so for your example as well (but I highly doubt you want an email everytime someone gets blocked -- perhaps if they choose to notify you then you do want an email).

I would suggest reviewing the SiteReview ruleset in the Online Ruleset Library and other community discussions on the topic.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
nmalonzo
Level 7

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info.

Follow-up question how do I configure MWG to send e-mail alert to a specific receiver(e.g. Administrator) whenever a malicious site or malware has been blocked?

Happy holidays.

Best Regards,

Nelson

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Nelson,

This is configured in the settings when you configure this rule.

The below screenshot is not what you are asking for, but an example of email settings:

2012-12-26_162300.png

Best,

Jon

rukmalf
Level 9

Hi Jon,

I have a requirement to notify users via email when their web page was blocked. I have integrated it with the domain and the usernames are extracted properly. I tried using authentication.username property as the email string in the above settings you have shown and obviously that only sends the username without the @example.com part.

how can i achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thank you,

Rukmal Fernando

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Rukmal,

The user name is not an email address.

In order to get the user's email address you will need to query a resource (such as AD) via LDAP to get this information.

I can post a ruleset about this later.

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Rukmal,

See attached ruleset as well as screenshots. You can use this ruleset assuming you are using direct proxy authentication, otherwise it may require a little bit of modification.

ruleset_2013-06-26_153205.png settings_2013-06-26_153328.png test_2013-06-26_153312.png

You will obviously need to update the LDAP settings to correspond with your LDAP server. My LDAP server was an AD server.

The Email address will be stored in "User-Defined.Authenticaiton.User.EmailAddress" which you can reference in your AD rules.

Best,
jon

rukmalf
Level 9

Thanks Jon

This is the thing i was looking at. it works in our test setup. and hope it will do the same in the live environment

thnx again

0 Kudos
rukmalf
Level 9

and bdw what type of AD user account is needed to query the mail?

0 Kudos
vidrine
Level 9

Any AD user object should be able to facilitate, but that also depends on your environment.  Active Directory user objects have read access to the directory and should all be able to run the query.         

0 Kudos