cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twostime
Level 7

McAfee Web Gateway 6.8.7 build 9979 - Are URL Re-writes possible ?

Hi,

I have read most of the relevant documentation for this release and am coming to the conclusion that a URL re-write is not possible.

Since Google helpfully removed any references to images in their hostnames, I need to append two parameters to all google searches;

&sout=1    switch back to "older version"

&surl=1     force return of thumbnail image source url

so for example the url

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=birds&hl=en&safe=active

becomes

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=birds&hl=en&safe=active&sout=1&surl=1

I would welcome any thoughts or help,

Many thanks

Julian

Message was edited by: twostime on 10/06/11 13:33:06 CDT
0 Kudos
6 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Re: McAfee Web Gateway 6.8.7 build 9979 - Are URL Re-writes possible ?

I cannot find a way in 6.8 to do this either, but it is trivial in 7.

Sorry.

0 Kudos
twostime
Level 7

Erik,

thanks for responding.  I'm tempted to click Helpful Answer but it seems a little ambiguous.

I note you have a McAfee badge & email address and have posted internally sourced McAfee documents.  Can I take your response as a categorical affirmative; "Your correct Julian, it's not possible, get version 7 installed" or are you hedging slightly; "it might be possible but I don't have sufficient product knowledge of the release your using to confirm" . . .

If its the latter, I'd be very grateful if you would bump this to any N2H2/SC/other "old-hands" you might know for further deliberation . . .

Clarification gratefully received,

many thanks,

Julian

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

I can say definitively that I have tried to get version 6.8 to behave as you have requested and have been unable to do so myself. I did spend significant time trying to play with Custom Actions and the extended list to accomplish it, but to no avail.

...and, I was able to do it in 7, with little effort.

Am I saying it cannot be done? No, just that I haven't had success.

Am I saying CAN it be done? I don't know, but I'm pretty intimate with this old girl, and she hasn't yielded to my advances.

Unless one of the support guys monitoring this has an idea, the only other suggestion is to call support.

0 Kudos
twostime
Level 7

Erik,

thank you thats clear and helpful.  That was where I was looking but it does seem that their only two options for web in the custom actions; block or allow.  No noise yet from other support so perhaps a call is required.

thanks again,

Julian

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

I can't think of anything that would make it easy to rewrite URLs. I could see you doing it for a user defined category (adding 1 url), then using a custom action (to redirect), but that would not scale very well.

~Jon

0 Kudos
eelsasser
Level 15

Jon,

When i tried that, i got a redirection loop.

http: //www.google.com/search?um=1%26hl=en%26safe=active%26biw=1259%26bih=887%26tbm=isch%26sa=1%26q=pam+anderson%26btnG=Search%26oq=pam+anderson%26aq=f%26aqi=%26aql=%26gs_sm=s%26gs_upl=-1307745755955l-1307745755955l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l%26sout=1%26surl=1

...%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1

...%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1

...%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1%26sout=1%26surl=1

...etc.

It was not pretty.

0 Kudos