cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jround
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Content Security Reporter Passkey change (ePO Server Setting)

Jump to solution

I tried to upgrade McAfee Content Security Reporter and the ePO extensions today from 2.5 to 2.6, but after doing so ePO reckons the passkey for the CSR server registered server connectivity is incorrect.

I can do a clean install of the CSR software on the server and this prompts me to enter a new passkey for the installation so I thought I could cheat and do that instead, but the trouble is all configuration settings are lost then - if I then restore a recent backup XML in I get back to the point of ePO not being able to connect due to 'incorrect passkey'

What would be the best way to resolve?  Ideally I just want to set the passkey to what our password database reckons it should be!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee aloksard
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Content Security Reporter Passkey change (ePO Server Setting)

Jump to solution

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

You can refer below link for How to reset a forgotten Content Security Reporter server login password:-

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB82227

Below is the contents of this article:-

Problem

You are unable to log on to the CSR server because of a forgotten login password.

Solution

It is not possible to recover the current Content Security Reporter server password because it is encrypted. Use the following instructions to reset the password to "password".

1. Attempt to log on to the CSR server through ePO (which stores the password). If this is possible, create a system backup using ePO:
    1. In ePO, navigate to MenuReporter Server SettingsSystem Backup
    2. Click the Actionsmenu, then Backup Now. Wait for the backup to complete.

1. Stop the Content Security Reporter service. In Windows, click StartRun, typemsc, and stop the service McAfee Content Security Reporter Server.
  2. Navigate to the folder with the most recent backup file. It is important to use the most recent backup because if there are any log sources that collect data, using an old backup may result in some duplicate data being pulled.
    • If a system backup was created because logon to the CSR server was possible through ePO:

<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backup<timestamp in milliseconds since epoch>\

An example of a folder name for a backup that was created on June 24, 2014 at 12:00pm is backup1403611200000.

• Otherwise, use the backup file created during system maintenance:

<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backupauto\
  1. Open the backup.xml file in a text editor.

The backup.xml contains a single line that represents the CSR configuration. Inside of the XML element <table name="CM_Administrator">, find the following string:

<column name="dir_id">10</column><column name="encryptedPassword">

Immediately following this string, the encrypted password is listed. It will look something like this:

2pCEMfvkAoNVjKdQ8up/oHK2K+g=

Replace the above password with:

W6ph5Mm5Pz8GgiULbPgzG37mj9g=

The section now looks like this:

<column name="encryptedPassword">W6ph5Mm5Pz8GgiULbPgzG37mj9g=</column>

1. Save and close the file.

1. Create a backup folder in <installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\.
  2. Copy the newly modified backup.xml file to<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backup\.
  3. Restart the Content Security Reporter service. In Windows, click StartRun, typemsc, and start the service McAfee Content Security Reporter Server.

The Content Security Reporter server password is now set to "password".

IMPORTANT: For security reasons, update the CSR server password after you reset it.

1. In ePO, navigate to MenuRegistered Servers, and then under Report Serversselect the CSR server. 
  2. Click ActionsEdit. Click Next
  3. Update the CSR server password using the Change Passkey

Regards

Alok Sarda

2 Replies
McAfee Employee aloksard
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

You can refer below link for How to reset a forgotten Content Security Reporter server login password:-

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB82227

Below is the contents of this article:-

Problem

You are unable to log on to the CSR server because of a forgotten login password.

Solution

It is not possible to recover the current Content Security Reporter server password because it is encrypted. Use the following instructions to reset the password to "password".

1. Attempt to log on to the CSR server through ePO (which stores the password). If this is possible, create a system backup using ePO:
    1. In ePO, navigate to MenuReporter Server SettingsSystem Backup
    2. Click the Actionsmenu, then Backup Now. Wait for the backup to complete.

1. Stop the Content Security Reporter service. In Windows, click StartRun, typemsc, and stop the service McAfee Content Security Reporter Server.
  2. Navigate to the folder with the most recent backup file. It is important to use the most recent backup because if there are any log sources that collect data, using an old backup may result in some duplicate data being pulled.
    • If a system backup was created because logon to the CSR server was possible through ePO:

<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backup<timestamp in milliseconds since epoch>\

An example of a folder name for a backup that was created on June 24, 2014 at 12:00pm is backup1403611200000.

• Otherwise, use the backup file created during system maintenance:

<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backupauto\
  1. Open the backup.xml file in a text editor.

The backup.xml contains a single line that represents the CSR configuration. Inside of the XML element <table name="CM_Administrator">, find the following string:

<column name="dir_id">10</column><column name="encryptedPassword">

Immediately following this string, the encrypted password is listed. It will look something like this:

2pCEMfvkAoNVjKdQ8up/oHK2K+g=

Replace the above password with:

W6ph5Mm5Pz8GgiULbPgzG37mj9g=

The section now looks like this:

<column name="encryptedPassword">W6ph5Mm5Pz8GgiULbPgzG37mj9g=</column>

1. Save and close the file.

1. Create a backup folder in <installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\.
  2. Copy the newly modified backup.xml file to<installation directory>McAfee\Content Security Reporter\reporter\conf\backup\.
  3. Restart the Content Security Reporter service. In Windows, click StartRun, typemsc, and start the service McAfee Content Security Reporter Server.

The Content Security Reporter server password is now set to "password".

IMPORTANT: For security reasons, update the CSR server password after you reset it.

1. In ePO, navigate to MenuRegistered Servers, and then under Report Serversselect the CSR server. 
  2. Click ActionsEdit. Click Next
  3. Update the CSR server password using the Change Passkey

Regards

Alok Sarda

Highlighted
jround
Not applicable
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Thank you very much!  I simply tried 'password' first and that was successful at connectivity so I must have had the issue before!

I have now ensured I have changed it to match the password stored in our password database Smiley Happy

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.