cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum file size MWG ICAP can scan

Hi All,

We have a requirment in our oraganization to scan a single file more than 4 GB file before processing it.

Frequency is 16 + files per day of size more than 4GB

Could you let us know if MWG can scan a single file more than 4 GB through ICAP protocol. 

Is there any known limitation that we need to consider when scanning such huge file.

Thanks

Varun

4 Replies
McAfee Employee mkutrieba
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Maximum file size MWG ICAP can scan

Hi,

in my opinion this should not be the task of a MWG proxy since it is not a file scanner but sure you can do this if you want. The limitation is in first place the resources like memory, CPU.

What types of files are we talking about? You mentioned single files likes ISO or maybe archives?

Regards,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

We are getting archive file which are more than 4 GB from third party system that requires to be scanned before we pass on to the destination system.

The product we are using for FTP is certified with McAfee Web Gateway 7.5.2.2.0 for AV through ICAP. So I am just looking for any known limitation on the file size and performance.

Thanks,

Varun

Highlighted
McAfee Employee mkutrieba
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Hi Varun,

okay, so for archives we have an opener present under "Common Rules" in a defaulty policy.

This opener is necessary to open archives to scan its content. Due to this fact it can take many hours to scan a complete archive based on the internal content (in example it can be one archive with hundreds of nested objects/levels and millions of files).

The amount of nested objects can be set in the opener settings.

Further, there are some hardcoded time limitations but they are set per single object if I remember correctly. So, your 4GB archive files should be scanned completely.

I also know a case where a customer scanned 8GB+ ISO files. These for example took around 6-7 hours but as mentioned, this is depending on its content and also on available ressources.

Regarding mentioned version 7.5.2.x, please notice that this version is already EOL since the end of last year. Therefore, I would recommend to consider an upgrade to latest main version 7.7.2.14.

More information about upgrading here:

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Documents/Web-Gateway-Upgrade-Best-Practices-and-Understanding-Relea...

Version information, ISO, license download:

https://contentsecurity.mcafee.com/

Regards,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel for your information.

Thanks 

Varun

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community