Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anas.ismail
Level 9

MWG software upgrade

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I have two questions about MWG software upgrade, please.

1. how long does it take to update the McAfee web gateway software from 7.2 to 7.3 ?

2. how long the downtime will be during the upgrade?

I am just looking for an estimated values, knowing that the internet speed is very good in our organization.

Regards.

Anas Ismail

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: MWG software upgrade

Jump to solution

Correction, for 7.2 > 7.3 it takes much longer since there is an OS upgrade. So I usually recommend allowing 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

It is important to be patient because there are two phases of the upgrade. The phase first you will see, the second you wont, so if you reboot in the middle of the second phase you can bork the upgrade.

7.3 > 7.4, for example is a quicker upgrade as lubomir pointed out this is because there is no OS upgrade.

I always recommend following the upgrade best practices:

Best,

Jon

8 Replies
lubomir.cerny
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi.

It tooks aprx. 5-10 minutes. I do upgrades via SSH console and 2 commands:

1. yum upgrade yum yumconf\*
  2. yum upgrade

If you have cluster HA config, please note to upgrade admin node the last. Start with slave nodes.

McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Correction, for 7.2 > 7.3 it takes much longer since there is an OS upgrade. So I usually recommend allowing 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

It is important to be patient because there are two phases of the upgrade. The phase first you will see, the second you wont, so if you reboot in the middle of the second phase you can bork the upgrade.

7.3 > 7.4, for example is a quicker upgrade as lubomir pointed out this is because there is no OS upgrade.

I always recommend following the upgrade best practices:

Best,

Jon

anas.ismail
Level 9

Jump to solution

Many Thanks Luberomir & Jon.

now I have another questions please

should I install the repository for the new version before performing the upgrade? & if I just run the two commands mentioned by Luberomir what will be the new version on the MWG 7.3 or 7.4 ?

Regards.

Anas Ismail

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Anas,

You would use the commands from the upgrade best practices link:

1. yum install yumconf-7.3-mwg 
  2. mwg-dist-upgrade <version number>

After that starts, you wait and be patient

Best,

Jon

anas.ismail
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you Jon,

I am extremely patient but the managers here are not

Thanks again

0 Kudos
lubomir.cerny
Level 12

Jump to solution

Just for info.

Today I did upgrade from 7.3 to new main 7.4 release and it took 6 minutes to install + 2-3 minutes for fresh reboot.

btlyric
Level 12

Jump to solution

One suggestion for your upgrade.

Duplicate a production MWG config onto a virtual machine and run the upgrade against the virtual machine.

asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Not a bad idea.

+ Take a backup of the production MWG :-)

+ Always check release notes/guides for the exact procedure of upgrading in case you want to do the upgrade via SSH, rather than the UI. The steps have changed sometimes in the past

+ Always plan in some more time for the upgrade. MWG might perform an fsck when it reboots, which could take an hour or so.

Best,

Andre