cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itagsupport
Level 9

MWG Web Proxy stops working when starting VMWare Snapshot

Hi

When we start a VMWare Snapshot then our newly updated MWG Proxy (VMWare Guest) stops working.

The MWG update from version 7.3.1.1.0 to 7.3.2 was done 2 days ago. The update was successful and the proxy functions OK.

The VMWare Tools included by McAfee MWG appliance have not been updated according to yum log

However, we suspect an incompatibility issue between VMWare ESXi 5.1.0 and MWG 7.3.2.

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Tom E.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
andyclements
Level 12

Re: MWG Web Proxy stops working when starting VMWare Snapshot

Do you get any error messages on the console, or you able to log in directly there?  I have been running a version of 7.3 for a while in ESXi 5, but don't know which one exactly at the moment.

0 Kudos
itagsupport
Level 9

Hi

No error message on the console. Can not even login as root (just waiting for password question after entering username "root").

Under VMWare "Tasks & Events" we get the error message:

= = = = = = = == = = == = = == = = == = = =

Create virtual machine snapshot

xxxx03

An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details.

xxxx\vscadmin

VMMGT01.xxxx.xx

06.06.2013 21:17:56

06.06.2013 21:17:56

06.06.2013 21:18:28

= = = = = = = == = = == = = == = = == = = =

Tom

0 Kudos
andyclements
Level 12

It looks like VMWare had some issues in dealing with the snapshots.  Was the machine paused or shut down when the snapshot was taken?  Check the log for the virtual machine, it should give you some idea what went wrong.

0 Kudos
itagsupport
Level 9

Hi Andy

the MWG runs in normal state as usual (production) when Netapp datastore backup is run. During this backup VM snapshots are taken.

But this was running without problems before the update from 7.3.1.1.0 to 7.3.2 !

Now the MWG was updated to the latest version 7.3.2.1.0 (15411) but this update did not include anything which did help, e.g. vmtools update.

However I also opened a service request at McAfee for this, but no news yet.

0 Kudos
skloepping
Level 9

Hi all,

i think i have some useful information for you:

If you are using the new DDNS feature you may want to test if these information are working for you:

Stop the named deamon, as i said, if you are using it in production (conditional DNS forwaring etc.) the DDNS will stop working, so you might want to check in prior if you are using this feature before stopping the deamon

# service mwg-named-mon stop

# service named stop

Verify with "mount | grep named" that there are no mounted filesystems associated to named remaining.

These changes are not persistent and DDNS backend will be back running after reboot.

Once named is down and there are no mounted filesystems for named remaining, try to take a snapshot/VM backup again.

Now the Backup/snapshot should work again.

@ itagsupport: may i ask you for the SR number?

Regards

0 Kudos
itagsupport
Level 9

Hi Stefan,

The SR is 3-3120933033

skloepping
Level 9

@itagsupport: ok thats my case already.

@all: someone else facing this?

0 Kudos
btlyric
Level 12

I just realized that I'm seeing this on a VM system that isn't in production. This happened with a default installed configuration with no connections being proxied through the system. I have two production 7.2 MWG VMs that function as primary and secondary managers that have never thrown this error.

The 7.3 system becomes unresponsive via network and vSphere Client console and requires a reset to come back on line.

mwg-release-7.3.2.1.0-15411.mlos2.mwg.noarch

open-vm-tools-2011.09.23-1.mlos2.x86_64

Doesn't always happen during a snapshot, but when it does, I saw this in the vSphere client:

An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine’s event log for details.

The event log states that it's starting a snapshot task.

One option I found was to disable quiescing.

In /etc/vmware-tools/tools.conf, I added:

[vmbackup]

vss.disableAppQuiescing = true

Restarted open-vm-tools via:

service open-vm-tools restart

Should know within a week or two whether or not that makes things happier.

If it does seem to work, I may disable that config and enable debug logging for open-vm-tools.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

The fix for this issue should be contained within 7.3.2.2. It was released today.

Web Gateway 7.3.2.2 build 15726 Release Notes - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24603

Its listed under:

-"When Web Gateway was running on a virtual platform, an attempt to take a snapshot for a backup led to a failure of the VMware, which tried to write log files to the file system after it had already been frozen to prepare the snapshot. (891116)".

Best,

Jon

0 Kudos