cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

MWG 7.7.2 monitoring

I am currently looking for suggestions to monitor our MWG. we are on 7.7.2 and will be upgrading in the future. I am looking at granular monitoring of things like cpu load, ICAP connections, etc... Any ideas? 

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: MWG 7.7.2 monitoring

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

You can configure SNMP on MWG and make use of it.

Please refer below link for the same:-

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/web-gateway-7.8.0-interface-reference-guide-unmanaged/page/GUID-92B05...

Below is an example for monitoring CPU usage and sending email notification for the same.

For monitoring CPU usage you can use below criteria:-

Statistics.Counter.GetCurrent("CPULoad")<Default> greater than or equals 80

NOTE:-  80 is an example here

You can navigate to option Policy-> Error handler-> By default should have a rule named Monitoring-> Inside which you can create your Check CPU Overload rule.

Please refer below link for more info:-

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4837

Regards

Alok Sarda

Highlighted

Thank you for the help. Do you know if there is a way to test the rules to verify they work without having to raise the cpu?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Below is what I mentioned in my first reply:-

For monitoring CPU usage you can use below criteria:-

Statistics.Counter.GetCurrent("CPULoad")<Default> greater than or equals 80

NOTE:-  80 is an example here

You can use a smaller value say 20 to monitor and then check.

Regards

Alok Sarda

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

If you're looking for trending, not just alerts on thresholds, you can do something very similar but writing the load to a log file and viewing the log file later.  I'm going to stay a high-level in the steps, but can provide more details later:

1) Create a new Logging Setting for CPU load (e.g. cpuload.log)

2) in the "Events" section of the rule created above, add an Event "FileSystemLogging.WriteLogEntry (DecimalNumber.ToString (Statistics.Counter.GetCurrent("CPULoad")<Default>, 2)<CPULoad.log>

In Step 2, we're writing the value of the CPULoad to the log file created in Step 1 with 2 decimal places (you could do any number of decimal places you wanted).  Because it's a decimal, we need to convert it to a string that is written to the file, which is what the "DecimalNumber.ToString" function does.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community