cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itagsupport
Level 9

MWG 7.3.x send audit.log via syslog to central log server

Hi all

Is there a way to send all what's going into the MWG 7.3 audit.log via syslog to a central log server?

For the access.log there is the possibility in the loghandler to create a syslog-call using an event. But for the audit.log it seems not possible.

Thanks.

Tom E.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
btlyric
Level 12

Re: MWG 7.3.x send audit.log via syslog to central log server

Looks like 7.3 has rsyslog 4.6. I believe that 4.6.x version supports the imfile option and it does appear that the imfile library is included in the rpm that gets installed. See http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imfile.html and http://www.rsyslog.com/using-the-text-file-input-module/ for configuration details.

Unfortunately, the rsyslog rpm that ships with 7.2 does not appear to have imfile support -- in the srpm, the plugins directory is empty.

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

This is cool. I like it. I just added this to retrieve the MWG Update Log into syslog:

$ModLoad imfile

$InputFileName /opt/mwg/log/update/update.log

$InputFileTag mwg-update:

$InputFileStateFile stat-mwg-updates

$InputFileSeverity error

$InputFileFacility local7

$InputRunFileMonitor

Works like a charme:

[root@MWG-Andre ~]# tail -f /var/log/messages

Oct 26 06:49:58 MWG-Andre mwg-update: [2012-10-26 06:49:49.202 +00:00] Successfully downloaded and checked file: d3c063f219ed073e34ad5d750b327629ffd59af2

Even if I like it please note:

- All changes to rsyslogd.conf should be done through the File Editor in the MWG UI, otherwise you could loose your changes on an update

- I cannot state on how officially this is supported. Since it is an rsyslogd feature and we use rsyslogd I do not see a problem, but I cannot guarantee that there are no side effects

Thanks for this information :-)

Andre

0 Kudos
itagsupport
Level 9

Hi btlyric and Andre

Thanks a lot for this helpful information

I will let our customer know about it and I guess he will like it.

Regards,

Tom E.

0 Kudos
consoul
Level 9

I understand that this would not be a supported configuration but is this something we could get working on a 7.2.x installation? What would I need to add to test this?

0 Kudos
trondah
Level 7

Hello,

I found this thread and have successfully implemented the above approach. I put the configuration into /etc/rsyslog.d/audit.conf and that should be safe from updates, correct? No need to edit the main configuration file.

0 Kudos