Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielsch
Level 10

MWG 7.2 Youtube Stream is not starting

Jump to solution

Hello,

we have problems to start some youtube streams. The video stream will not starting and we get the error message "an error occured, please try it later".

At the rule set are youtube allowed.

This will not happen to all videos. I believe it's only when there is some commercial before.

The URL looks not really helpful to me, the only thing I see is HTML Code 403. What rule is blocking the stream/content?

One example:

[14/Jun/2013:15:37:52 +0200] "" xx.xx.xx.xx 403 "GET http://r11---sn-h0j7sn7d.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?signature=CAEB7CF403711A9E9759E26FE3EBA200A6B3E... HTTP/1.1" "" "-" "" 3730 "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)" "" "22"

How can I troubleshoot such URLs or see why this content get bocked?

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbrickey
Level 11

Re: MWG 7.2 Youtube Stream is not starting

Jump to solution

The block page is sent to your browser, but the browser doesn't display it. Any easy way to see the block page is to run wireshark on your client and follow the stream where the block page is sent. You will see the raw html of the block page with whatever information you have configured on your block page templates.

For reference, youtube uses video/quicktime filetype and flash videos.

-Patrick

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

As you found, the MWG is blocking this content (as can be indicated by a 403). In addition to the 403, the MWG will populate the "Block.ID" value. In this case it is at the end of the line (22).

This is a media type block. Each block id is set on the block page template, see below screenshot:

block_2013-06-14_132557.png

Hope this helps,

Jon

0 Kudos
danielsch
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi Jon,

the screenshot you posted shows the action template (block informations) only. When I browse the youtube URL I don't see the block template site, just the player is not starting.

At the media block list there are some different media types listed and I cannot se what kind of media the MWG is blocking. The URL doesn't show me a file type. I don't figure out what it is.

How can I find out what file type is blocked?

Daniel

0 Kudos
karubum
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had same problem that some of youtube videos did not start to play. There were two reasons for that:

1) The connection was slow that video could not loaded, so I had waited to loaded all video once and replay again.

2) There was commercial at the video that my rule was blocking them in web gateway, which I had intended to do it.

Also you may look at coding results of the site. Some of the media players are redirecting to ad during the video stream. The redirected site inside of video might be blocked category in your web gateway ruleset.

0 Kudos
danielsch
Level 10

Jump to solution

The slow connection is not the point. 100Mbit should be enough to load the video. The 2. point will be the more likely. At my tests I found out that most of the videos that got blocked had a commercial in front. I don't need to block the commercial.

Is there a possibility to see what is blocked at the debug functions of the MWG?

Wireshark is maybe an option, but I'm not sure that it works with this not so readable URL, see first post.

Nachricht geändert durch danielsch on 19.06.13 04:44:36 CDT
0 Kudos
karubum
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have tracked and found the redirection site by analyzing the user-defined-logs in MWG.

0 Kudos
pbrickey
Level 11

Jump to solution

The block page is sent to your browser, but the browser doesn't display it. Any easy way to see the block page is to run wireshark on your client and follow the stream where the block page is sent. You will see the raw html of the block page with whatever information you have configured on your block page templates.

For reference, youtube uses video/quicktime filetype and flash videos.

-Patrick

0 Kudos
danielsch
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

I figured out what kind of content was blocked.

At the end I done the wireshark troubleshooting way. It's indeed a good way, because, how you told, you see the html block site.

part of the wireshark packet:

<!--Info-->

<table class="infoTable">

<tr>

<td class="infoData">

<b>URL: </b><script type="text/javascript">break_line("http://r12---sn-h0j7sne7.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?fexp=921049%2C900352%2C921047%2C924605%2C928201...");</script><br />

<b>Filename: </b>videoplayback<br />

<b>Media Type (detected): </b>video/quicktime<br />

<b>Media Type (from file name): </b><br />

</td>

</tr>

</table>

<!--/Info-->

When you use the user-defined-logs you see the URL, but I is not clear to see what type of content get called.

Thanks foe all the informations.

Daniel

0 Kudos