Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ittech
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Loopback requests

Jump to solution

My MWG7 box is showing that it's getting requests from the IP address 127.0.0.1. At first I thought it was the device itself requesting access to the internet, but on the request list it does show the device's own IP. Can anyone tell me why this might happen?

Also, I'm getting requests from IPs that I didn't set up to use the proxy. Didn't know if you had any thoughts on that one, too.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee mschneid
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Re: Loopback requests

Jump to solution

Thanks! These are internal requests which the product does to itsself. We already filter them for logfiles, but not for the dashboards. I will track this as they are aparently confusing and we should not display them per default.

thanks for raising this!

best,

Michael

7 Replies
McAfee Employee mschneid
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

how do these log entries look like?

ittech
Level 13
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I was mainly looking at the Traffic Volume page on the dashboard.

Here is an example:

loopback.JPG

McAfee Employee mschneid
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks! These are internal requests which the product does to itsself. We already filter them for logfiles, but not for the dashboards. I will track this as they are aparently confusing and we should not display them per default.

thanks for raising this!

best,

Michael

ittech
Level 13
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Michael!

Just out of curiousity, what is the MWG 7 requesting of itself; Cached files, policy info, ect.?

Also, is there a difference between the loopback address requests and the requests coming from the actual IP address of the MWG 7, or are they the same type of requests?

For example, there are the 127.0.0.1 requests to itself and 172.*.*.* requests to itself.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee mschneid
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

It check its won state and is sending data over sockets between its different instances. We have UI (aka Konfigurator) who talks to the coordinator who talks to the core.

The UI is...well,...you know what the UI is

The coordinator is the one to handle all central management functions and updates, etc.

The core is the work horse here, which does all the proxying and filtering.

These instance of course need to chat and exchange data and that is what you are seeing.

If the 172 IPs are the one of the gateway, then there is a potential that your verdict is true.

best,

Michael

ittech
Level 13
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks again for the great info!

I just read what it takes to be an CISSP and man that sounds rough. I just got my A.S. in Network Admin. and thats something for me to aspire to!

McAfee Employee mschneid
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

CISSP is not as tought as it sounds - just a 6 day workshop, which they call bootcamp, and a 6 hour exam

Good luck then!

best,

Michael