cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue while using proxy pac from dhcp

hi,

I have configured DHCP Server with WPAD file setting, everthing works fine. but i am facing one issue that is when i disable the proxy settings and Automatically detect setting is check i close the IE and open it again, then i release renew the ip it doesnot take proxy setting from the pac file. but when i reset internet explorer it works fine. can anyone give me a solution for this issue. i cannot move to 1000 users to do so.

Regards

Muntazir

2 Replies

Re: Issue while using proxy pac from dhcp

Hi,

One more thing the version i am using is 6.9 version of web washer. If anyone want to know any more info please feel free to post

Regards

Muntazir

Regis
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Issue while using proxy pac from dhcp

To do a full test, since using WPAD via DHCP is a bit of a "at time of address acquisition" sort of thing, I'd do a test like so:

Set IE to automatically detect settings, and don't specify a proxy.

At a command prompt do the following:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

The last command will re-pull the DHCP address along with the attendant information.

If at that point the machine isn't using the WPAD/PAC file  (which should be on a machine resolvable by the name wpad in a file name wdap.dat on the root of that web server), check to make sure that with no proxy set in teh browser, that http://wpad/wpad.dat resolves.

I'd also recommend that anyone using WPAD  put a rule into blocked domains to block  wpad.TLD  (where TLD = .com if your company is a .com) to avoid the vulnerability mentioned at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol#Security

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.