cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phlrnnr
Level 9

Is there a way to automatically delete Rule Tracing Logs?

Jump to solution

I'm looking to roll out MWG 7.3.2 and with it comes the Rule Tracing Central.  It is a great feature!  It is VERY helpful for troubleshooting, so thanks for adding it!  One thing I've found with it, however, is that it creates a lot of Rule Tracing logs.  From within Rule Tracing Central, however, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to delete the Rule Tracing logs created.  If you select 'Clear logs' or 'Remove Selected' or 'Remove Visible traces' it removes them from the view within RTC, but does not actually remove the logs.  If you click on Troubleshooting --> Rule Tracing Files, all the logs are still there.

So, is there a way to automate removing those logs?  I'm thinking a scheduled removal (every day at midnight, or something to that effect).  I looked under Configuration --> Log File Manager and under Policy --> Settings --> File System Logging and nothing jumped out at me.  Am I missing something, or is there another way to easily do this?

on 10/2/13 9:54:00 AM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sroering
Level 13

Re: Is there a way to automatically delete Rule Tracing Logs?

Jump to solution

Sorry, it's not possible to auto-delete them, but the system will only keep 5000.  After 5000 trace files old ones will be deleted to make room for the new ones.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

Sorry, it's not possible to auto-delete them, but the system will only keep 5000.  After 5000 trace files old ones will be deleted to make room for the new ones.

0 Kudos
phlrnnr
Level 9

Jump to solution

So, if the system only keeps 5000 of them, should I even worry about it?  My concern was that they would eventually fill up the disk space.  But if the number of logs that it keeps is limited, it probably isn't a big deal to just let them sit around until they are overwritten.

Maybe a good feature enhancement would be to delete the corresponding log from the MWG rule tracing logs folder once a user 'clears' or 'removes' the entry from within Rule Tracing Central.

Thanks for your assistance!

0 Kudos
sroering
Level 13

Jump to solution

Well, you shouldn't leave rule tracing on 24x7.  It is a troubleshooting feature that should be disabled as soon as you have collected the data you need.  But you are correct, they will not fill your disk because they are limited to 5000 files.  You can delete the files once they are no longer useful as you wish.

Yes, the rule tracer is new and surely could be improved with your feedback.  Please submit your suggestions here.

https://mcafee.acceptondemand.com/

0 Kudos
phlrnnr
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yeah, I have no plans to leave it on 24x7.  Only when troubleshooting.  My concern was if teammates using Rule Tracing Central never deleted the logs that eventually the disk would fill up.  But, the 5000 file limit should mitigate that concern.  Thanks!

And, for the record, I love the Rule Tracing Central.  It is very helpful for troubleshooting.