cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bayswater
Level 9

Internal access to Outlook Webmail

Jump to solution

We have recently deployed our WebGateway appliance and all appears to be working well apart from an issue with trying to access Outlook Webmail internally (used by staff that don't have access to their own computer). External access works fine, but when attempting to access it internally the WebGateway returns an error that it cannot connect and The Proxy received an invalid response.

Previously we were using ISA 2006 and had a rule in place for internal access to webmail. I have tried to replicate this rule on the WebGateway with no success so far. I have attached screenshots of this rule.

Has anyone come across something like this or similar? I am wondering if anyone can help me with a rule configuration that will do what ISA was doing previously.

Many thanks,

Lindsay

Message was edited by: bayswater on 9/02/11 1:05:25 AM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bayswater
Level 9

Re: Internal access to Outlook Webmail

Jump to solution

Feeling kind of dumb right now, but good news is that I worked out what the problem was.

For some reason I needed to add the FQDN to point to the internal IP address in the Hosts file on the gateway. I thought this would have already been handled by our internal DNS, but didn't seem to be the case.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
eelsasser
Level 15

Jump to solution

When a user access OWA internally, what do they actually put in the URL?

Is is just the host name like: http://webmail/Exchange  ??

Or is it a FQDN like: http://webmail.domain.com/Exchange ??

If you are only using the host name, my guess is the gateway does not know how to resolve the host name directly and needs to append a domain search suffix. You can do this by editting resolv.conf and changing/adding the line at the end to:

Mine looks like this:

### END AUTOGENERATED CONFIG
search lordchariot.com lordchariot.local

That said, internal traffic to servers that the clients can route to in the first place generally should not be proxied at all. Most people will put exclusions in the browser settings so internal hosts do no get proxied.

0 Kudos
bayswater
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Erik,

When a user accesses OWA internally they enter the FQDN.

For some reason it was configured that you could only access OWA internally by going through ISA, hence this rule. It was put in place by our current network admin's predecessor. I will need to check with him again to see if he knows why it is setup this way.

Lindsay

0 Kudos
bayswater
Level 9

Jump to solution

Bringing this back up again.

Still no luck. I have tried excluding the webmail address (https://webmail.domain.com/Exchange) in the browser from going through the proxy.

Is there any way of redirecting a single address to go through another proxy? I was wondering if I could just redirect this address to go the the proxy at 192.168.1.6:8080 (our ISA server).

0 Kudos
ittech
Level 13

Jump to solution

Try using wildcards like *.webmail.domain.com*

Also since it's HTTPS, is your SSL scanner turned on?

0 Kudos
bayswater
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestions. I had already put the wildards in before, but that doesn't make any difference.

Also we aren't using the SSL scanner, but I tried turning it on to test and got the same result.

0 Kudos
bayswater
Level 9

Jump to solution

Feeling kind of dumb right now, but good news is that I worked out what the problem was.

For some reason I needed to add the FQDN to point to the internal IP address in the Hosts file on the gateway. I thought this would have already been handled by our internal DNS, but didn't seem to be the case.

0 Kudos
erodriguez
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, can you send me or show the entire process you used to deploy OWA through the Webgateway?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
bayswater
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi erodriguez,

This is all I needed to do in the end to enable internal access to OWA through our Webgateway.

The IP 192.168.1.24 is the internal IP address of our Exchange server and the host on this line is webmail.ourdomain.com.

Screenshot - 11_06_2013 , 10_18_50 AM.png

Hope this helps.

Lindsay

0 Kudos